24 Oct 2012

Time to say goodbye


I really haven’t been in the right frame of mind to blog since we’ve been here in Fuerteventura which is most unlike me.  Normally I can get down at least 1000 words written easily about trivial day to day stuff.  I am not sure if I have the words in me today, but in view of Phil’s weird and wacky ‘Happy Mole Day’ posting yesterday I thought I ought to at least get this blog back on track, if nothing more than to prepare folks for more of the same old once I get back home plus it is also our last day.


I was going to do a post on the day we flew away but somehow I ran out of time.  It was a busy couple of days for both before coming away; Phil drove down to Melton on the Monday to tile his mum and dads utility room.  Actually it’s not officially a utility room; it’s more of a shed down a passageway which houses their washing machine and one of their many fridges.  Phil’s mum wanted it tiling because the plumber had made a right old mess when he installed the new boiler.  Whilst Phil was out of my hair away I had chance to pack the backpack and in the afternoon I finally got to catch up for a cup of tea with Emma.  I have been meaning to catch up with her for ages and its simply crazy that I hadn’t had a chance, seeing as she is only just down the road.  But anyway I sent her an email and we arranged for me to call round on Monday afternoon before the school run.  Not only was I able to catch up with Emma but also Jason as well who had a day off work.  Things are going good for them both, Jason finally got his compensation through from a car accident over 3 years ago which will enable him to set up in business by himself.  The children are both doing well at school and Emma was kind enough to bring me up-to-date with the cul-de-sac gossip.


Of course I was curious to know what was happening in the street; it was the first time I had been back since we moved out a year ago.  I had expected to feel some emotion but there was none which just goes to show that I have moved on.  A house is a house is a house.  We had some good times at number no 11 but not as good as we had at no 25.  I was very interested to learn that the girlie that brought our old house had ripped out my lovely IKEA free standing kitchen and replaced it.  I loved that kitchen, it provided me with much solace in the early hours of the morning when I would sneak down, put on my twinkles along with the under- floor heating and settle in front of my laptop with a mug of tea. 


Emma told me that next door even threw out my beautiful Italian Lofra cooker which was immaculate when we left.  I knew that the new owner would replace the bathroom because it was pants but I was surprised when Emma said that she replaced the bathroom twice because she didn’t like the first bathroom.  What a waste of time and money but nothing to do with me any more.  Sandy’s old house has been sold and is now being lived in by a Chinese couple.  It’s strange that they are living there without heat or electricity.  But I guess where there is a wok there’s a way.  It’s strange because I haven’t seen or heard from Sandy since we went to her 50th birthday party but I received a text from her while we have been here in Fuerteventura inviting us to Kevin’s 30th birthday party.  Unfortunately it was last Saturday so we couldn’t go.


On Tuesday Phil went to see the solicitor for an appointment he had made the week before.  He had to take all of the paperwork that he had spent ages sifting through.  Poor thing was anxious and nervous but it was all for nothing.  He brought the solicitor up-to-date as she had been absent due to a family bereavement.  No doubt when we get back there will be a pile of paperwork for him to go through.  I went to the hairdressers in Newport in the afternoon for highlights and a cut and blow dry and unfortunately I was butchered.  It was my own fault, I had left it too late to get Harriet’s friend Rachael and I told the girl in Zig Zag to go short.  By short I meant a layered bob just under the ear lobes but I came away with almost a crop.  My hair was blonde at the front and almost black at the back.  I wasn’t happy to say the least.  Once upon a time, if this had of happened, I would have locked myself away and cried for ages but life is too short for such drama and besides it will grow.


We have had a gentle couple of days and I‘m afraid to say they have not been terribly exciting.  On Monday we got in the car and went to Aguas Verdes which was a place highlighted to Phil as a place of interest by the sales representative in the car hire office. It was a boring drive which led us off on a turn before the start of the steep mountains.  It was a big disappointment when we got there as there was nothing bar a dirt track which led us to a few houses with views of the ocean via a crumbling coastline.  I couldn’t even be bothered to get out of the car.  After having seen most of the island, well all the bits in the guide book, we couldn’t decide what to do for lunch but in the end we decided to head back to Caleta.  We parked the car and walked to one of the many English gaffs that we hadn’t tried.  They had a cheap 3 course menu of the day for less than 10 euro’s with a free drink.  The food was alright but think of Weatherspoons and you’ll get the picture. 


Yesterday we had a late start and decided to head for a beach recommended to us by the English waitress in Linn’s restaurant.  It was called Sotevento just outside Costa Calma on route FV2 heading towards Morro Jable.  Another long boring drive with lots of traffic and we couldn’t even find Sotevento beach. In the end we gave up and went into Costa Calma for a beer.  We did initially think we would walk down to the beach but it was difficult to park and would have meant a long walk in the midday sun.  Costa Calma was busy and touristy and we both agreed that it wasn’t for us.  Calm it certainly wasn’t. I can’t imagine what it would be like in the height of the summer.  We did try to find somewhere for lunch but could only find pizza and pasta eateries so we jumped in the car and went to Pozo Negro for lunch on the beach.  This is where we had the lovely paella and sangria on Sunday. It was less busy yesterday; we ordered a jug of sangria and had garlic prawns to start followed by sea bass for Phil and a tuna salad for me.  It was nice but we didn’t enjoy it as much as our paella.  Do you ever find that when you go back a second time that’s it’s never as good as you remembered?

Fuerteventura hasn’t blown me away, well not literally.   You would think that one Canary island is much the same as the over and once you have seen one volcanic lava mountain that you’ve seen them all right?  I am inclined to disagree, although the scenery is much the same, in that most of the island is of basaltic origin, I find it hard to believe that this is one of the oldest islands.  To me it seems very modern and sophisticated. Not everywhere mind but give me a choice and I have much preferred Tenerife or Lanzarote.  They too have modern commercial centres and ex-pat communities as well as eateries but if you get a car you can find lots of traditional Spanish villages.  Maybe I am remembering it wrong, I dunno, I can only speak as I find.


And so to the loaded question, have I had a good holiday or not? Well, that’s both a Yes and a No.  I hadn’t been feeling too well before we flew out which is most likely due to stress.  Without a doubt getting away from it all, the sunshine and the chewable calcium tablets have done me the world of good. The weather wasn’t so great the first week and not as I remember typically Canarian weather but the second week has more than made up for it.  It’s been scorching for the last couple of days. 

One downside of this holiday has been the pain in my neck, shoulder and upper back which I initially thought was due to my falling over the gazebo but then I realised it was down to my lifting a particularly heavy crate of tools out of Phil’s land rover into my shed at the caravan. My own fault because I am so impatient and couldn’t wait for Phil.  Sometimes I think I am strong as Goliath but not only has this one lift caused me pain in my upper body it’s also triggered off my sciatica with pain that starts in my bum.  Ohhhh too much information but the hard beds at Caleta Beach certainly haven’t helped.  

I don’t think I will go back to the UK feeling totally rested which will be down mostly to waking up most nights at half two in the morning.  This has mainly been down to neck pain or a need for a pee (that’s me or Phil or both) but Monday nights half two awakening was purely down to Phil finding a cockroach in the shower tray.  Phil and I have some bad nightly experiences with roaches both in India and Australia and I knew that there was no way I would be able to go back to sleep early Tuesday morning until Phil had destroyed the offending creature.  Thankfully in the end Phil knew it too, so he summoned up all his courage and put the shower hose on and sprayed boiling hot water on to the roach until it was dead.  Actually even then I couldn’t sleep; Phil drifted off and I put on the light and read until 6am and then we managed 2 more hours.

Vile creatures aside, at times on this holiday I have felt quite lonely and quite bored.  With the lack of TV channels Phil has occupied himself with technology.  I don’t begrudge up and coming technology, indeed I embrace it but it’s not a lot of fun but when DH permanently has his ear plugs listening to podcasts day, noon and night or otherwise he is writing on his applemac or downloading on his iPad.  Even when we have been out to lunch, Phil immediately switches on his iphone4 checking for Wi-Fi connections and wow if there is one, Phil checks his email or updates himself with his favourite blogs.  The ear plugs are in 24/7 and pod casts are switched on in the car permanently and not even taken off for walks along a beautiful beach. 

All of which makes communication difficult.  If I say something in the car, occasionally Phil will switch off the volume but he gets exasperated if what I have to say is trivial, which of course, on most occasions it is.  So a lonely experience it has been at times here on holiday in Fuerteventura but greatly helped by emails from my dear friend Sue who has kept me entertained with tales from home.  Thank you my good friend! I have also occupied myself with books. I downloaded 20 new novels on the kindle before leaving home which I have read.  I downloaded another 5 at a café with free Wi-Fi and I have almost exhausted the paperback library at reception. I even had to resort to reading a Mills & Boon book yesterday entitled ‘Honeymoon with the Boss’ which shows how desperate I am for reading material.  Desperate times call for desperate measures……….

I think one of the problems is that I have missed the TV and in particular ITV2.  I didn’t realise how much this was my friend until I came out and stayed at Caleta Beach.  Of course I am a hypocrite; whilst at home I berate Phil at how much he watches the TV but I am just as bad.  Most people have mocked us for our ‘free’ timeshare holidays but they haven’t been so bad and actually I think they have spoilt us for any other self-catering holidays.  Compared to the accommodation that we have experienced in Tenerife (timeshare apartments) Caleta Beach is lacking. I don’t just meant the lack of TV or air-con although to be honest we haven’t needed it, it’s just the lack of comfy sofas and beds not to mention the cooking facilities.  Especially because Phil paid top dollar after my extensive Trip Advisor searches and it hasn’t come up to spec.


All that aside, I’ve had a good break and have got a reasonable tan.  More importantly, is that Phil has chilled and seems to have benefited greatly for his break away.  Whether he will revert to grumpy old man syndrome the moment when he steps into the flat remains to be seen, but for now, he is cool.  I also have to commend him on the blog postings. They may not be all to my liking, after all we have 2 very different styles but he has had to persevere with this crappy Caleta Beach connection and he hasn’t lied when he has said that he has had to get up in the early hours so as to be able to download his photographs.  Well done Phil! Bravo!  For me its home day and I can’t wait.  Decent home cooked food, a comfy bed, a much needed debrief tomorrow with Susie Sue and I will be happy.  It’s been good to get away but it will also be great to get back.  



3 comments:

  1. Never mind bringing back any souvenirs or cigarettes just make sure you've got room for "Honeymoon with the Boss" :))) Safe journey back folks and can't wait to catch up with you. Love Sue XXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you haven't got many photo's, use Claire's tip: put the same one on several times. Nobody will notice.

    Back to you Claire, I got jobs to do. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue my lovlie, believe me take the cigarettes, you really do NOT want to read "Honeymoon with the Boss" believe me. Thanks for the all the goodies in the fridge that you got for us on our return plus the yummy cottage pie. You are a true star and we are grateful to have you in our lives. Love Claire (& Phil) XXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete