I have had to be nagged into writing a blog posting by Phil
which is most unlike me. There have been
2 reasons for my reluctance. The first one and the main one really is that we
have done absolutely nothing and have been chilled to the point of being almost
horizontal. This is very unusual for us
as normally, as you know, we hire a car and can’t wait to go exploring. Not on this holiday, this vacation it’s been
different. It’s funny I am champing at
the bit to get a car and go explore the Island but so far Phil has been happy
to just stay in the apartment and either sleep or read his book. He hasn’t even
wanted to eat much or even drink for that matter.
On the basis that all we have done since getting here is
eat, sleep and sunbathe I may be struggling with this positing but I shall plod
on; I have to get something written as Phil will continue to nag. On Saturday morning we walked up the hill to
the weekly market but it wasn’t very interesting. Lots of Africans selling mostly fake watches,
sun glasses and belts and that was about it.
Phil was disappointed there weren’t any food stalls, anyway we came away
without buying anything. On our way
down the hill we found an English bar so Phil could watch the Korean Grand Prix
qualifying. They had a BOGOF offer on
the drinks so that was a couple of happy hours in front of the plasma. For lunch, Phil cooked chicken breasts with
new potatoes and salad back at the apartment.
Phil spent the afternoon sleeping and I went and laid by the pool.
We could hear loud music blaring on Saturday evening, so after a
shower we decided to go and investigate where it was coming from. Although we tried to trace its origin we
couldn’t which was crazy because it was really loud. In the end we ended up back at the English
bar watching the X-Factor which as I type sounds really sad. On Sunday Phil went back to the same bar to
watch the GP and I stayed home for some more sunbathing and reading. I have read 16 books on my kindle since we
arrived. I downloaded 20 before we left
thinking this would be enough but oh no.
I guess I hadn’t figured that we’d be chilling out so much. Phil went to bed v early and I ended up going
to get a takeaway pizza. I was starving
and although I rarely eat pizza I guzzled it all bar a couple of pieces which I
thought I ought to save for Phil in case he woke up.
The other reason for not wanting to write was basically down
to a technical problem, namely a camera crisis.
Not only did Phil come away without charging his camera or bringing his
charger and his battery died, well I confess I pretty much did the same thing.
Only I did remember to charge my battery before we left but my camera must of
switched itself on in my handbag and run down the battery. This is the only thing I can think of because
normally my old battered Fujifilm has a long battery life. I did think about bringing the charger but
decided against because of weight and space. Phil could of course of used his
iphone4 to take pictures but he didn’t bring the gadget to download them onto
his mac. Anyway yesterday we found a
camera shop and brought a universal charger.
Twenty four frigging euro’s which hurt when I know we have 2 perfectly
good chargers back at the flat but what else could we do.
Now that I have explained myself or at least the reluctance
to write, I suppose I should talk about our stay at Caleta de Fuste so far. Where to begin? Well, our accommodation at Hotel Cay Beach is
okay, the apartment is modern and clean and as we are self-catering we have
more room than if we were in a hotel. Its
ground level and we have quite a large tiled terrace which gives shade from the
nearby palm trees and yet lets the sun in pretty much most of the day. What I really miss I’m ashamed to admit is
the TV channels. We could pay to have TV
but when we looked at the channel list there was nothing that we would want to
watch. Phil isn’t that bothered, he’s
got his books and has even started to write again but I do confess I do miss my
soaps. I am a sad girl but then I’ve
known that for a long time!
We have also had a couple of problems in the bedroom
department. Nothing saucy, on no nothing
remotely exciting but one problem that is causing me grief is that the beds are
extremely hard. This normally wouldn’t be a big deal but for some reason when I
wake up in the morning my neck and shoulders are really stiff and actually
cause some pain. My neck was already
stiff from when I tripped and fell over the gazebo peg 6 weeks ago but I had
thought it was getting better. Luckily I
have a pack of Codeine that Sue gave me so swallowing these does help first
thing. The other problem with the bed is
that we have an army of ants that come out at night and also a jumping spider
is sleeping with us. The ants don’t bother me, have enough vino tinto and I can
sleep with anything but the jumping spider has taken a likening to Phil and he
has got several bites. And they are
nasty, big angry red bites bless him. I
am spraying Phil with a ‘Buss Off Insect Ease Bite Spray’ but if they get worse
maybe we will have to go to the chemist for an antiseptic spray. Other than that, our apartment is fine, it
does what is says on the can.
The town of Caleta is okay but I am not blown away if I am
honest. The harbour is pretty and there
is a nice paved path along the beach which we have walked a couple of
times. There is an abundance of small
shopping centres but there are much the same as each other. What I have found most disappointing is just
how many English bars and restaurants there are advertising full English
breakfasts, pizzas and burgers. You
cannot find anything authentic of Spain in Caleta or not that we have found
anyway. We did spot one tapas bar but it
was sandwiched between a disco and a 24 hour sports bar so that put me
off. We have had a few lunches out but
they have been nothing to get excited about.
And food and drink here in Fuerteventura is not cheap. I did say to Phil yesterday that perhaps
whilst we were chilling we should maybe have gone all inclusive for our first
week but he disagreed with me. I am still not so sure.
Phil has a free app on his iphone4 which gives him a list of
the top 10 restaurants in the area. He
decided yesterday that we would have lunch at a restaurant called ‘15’. It took
us a while to find it even though Caleta is not a big place. In the end we had to ask directions from the
nice lady in the camera shop and we got there only to find it closed. We had forgotten that a lot of places shut on
a Monday in Spain. So we ended up in an
Angus Steak house for lunch which was okay.
The weather in Fuerteventura is different to the other
canaries that I have been to before. I
don’t know whether it’s because we are coming into their winter season but the
sun doesn’t come out until 10am in the mornings. There is a constant breeze all the time which
is nice if you are walking but it can feel chilly if you are out of the sun
even in the day. Since we arrived we
have had lots of cloud, we even had rain on Saturday but yesterday we saw clear
blue skies for the first time. My friend
Jane was in Playa Blanca in Lanzarote the week before we came away and she said
the weather was disappointing, they had rain and cloud for most of their 1 week
stay. I shouldn’t complain about the
weather though as its much warmer here than at home I gather. Sue said in an email there was a possibility of
frost and she had to get out her big coat.
I can’t really comment on Fuerteventura because I have only
seen one town on the whole island but tomorrow, all being well, we are going to
hire a car and head south. My sister Louise
and husband Mark come to Fuerteventura frequently and always stay on the
Peninsula de Jandia which is where we are heading. From what I’ve read its only about 50 miles
from Caleta so we may stop off at towns along the way but I particularly want
to see Jandia and Morro Jable as its meant to be really beautiful. Whilst it’s been
relaxing, reading and working on my tan I am beginning to get ants in my pants
(literally) and want to go exploring. It’s
time to get vertical………………
Jumping Spiders!!!!! WTF
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure how Phil will feel about being sprayed with 'Buzz off' anything :) Enjoy the car and trip and stay off the pizza, you know you don't like it!!!!!!!!!!!!! love Sue X
ReplyDeleteJimmy I get WTF jumping spiders and I thought the same. Don't tell Shirl cas you will never EVER get her to Oz!!!
ReplyDeleteSusie Sue, actually Phil quite liked being sprayed with buzz off lol and you are so right I HATE pizza; shame I nearly managed to the whole one though. Yearning for carbs right? Love Claire XXX