8 Oct 2012

Coconuts & Wonderbas



The title of my blog today has no relevance to its content.  Nope, none whatsoever, it’s just that I feel my recent titles for posts have been very bland and boring and I wanted something to spice up Monday morning.  Coconuts and Wonderbras just happens to be the title of a book that I’m currently reading on my kindle.  It’s written by a gal called Lynda Renham and it’s very, very funny.

I started my day on Friday with a swim and a steam at DW.  I can’t remember the last time I had a swim but it was really good.  The pool at DW can be intimate at the best of times but on Friday there was only me and 2 other swimmers which was perfect.  After a shower and change, I picked up Sue from Newport and we went over to Monkston to finish off the house.  There wasn’t a great deal of work to be done; I finished off painting the fence panels and Sue hovered and cleaned the floors.  She wanted to get something to hide the damage on the laminate flooring and so we went to BM in Bletchley where Sue found some reasonably priced rugs.  Then it was back to Monkston to put down the rugs and collect the old tins of paint and the last job of the day was to take them to the dump.

Phil was up early on Saturday morning as he had to go to the medical centre for his flu jab.  I dropped of 2 big bags of washing which Sue had very offered to do for me.  I had planned to take it to the caravan but Sue absolutely insisted that I take it round and well I didn’t protest too much!  When I got back to the flat we packed the car and went over to Overstone.  We had lots of jobs to do; our main focus though was to get both the vans ready for winter.  Thankfully the sun was shining and the skies were blue although it was still on the nippy side.  Unfortunately the gazebo was damp from big downfalls the night before but we left it for an hour or so and then hung it over the railings.  We pegged the side panels on the line and it soon dried and we were able to pack it away in the bag.

With the gazebo down and the chairs put away in the shed, it all looked very sad at the vans.   We put all the bedding into the lounge in the caravan next door, turned a heater on low and turned off the stop-cock.  We decided against fully draining down until we get back from holidays.  In the afternoon I cleaned cupboards and did some ironing while Phil watched the qualifying.  He also typed a few letters and so, all in all it was a productive afternoon.  The caravan was cold when we first get there but it soon warmed up when the gas fire was on in the evening.

Phil wanted to go out so we walked down to the clubhouse for dinner.  The restaurant was busy but not packed but we didn’t really enjoy our food much.  My steak was dry and Phil’s liver and bacon was not very flavorsome.  We did venture into the bar but there was a football match on.  We were too early for the entertainment so we decided to go home.  Just as well really because by 8 pm I was fast asleep on the sofa.  Not very exciting for Phil I’m afraid. He woke me at half ten and I slept like a log all night. I have to say that our bed is very comfortable in the caravan and its one of the things I shall miss.


Poor Phil woke up with really red and swollen armpits on Sunday morning.  Since radiotherapy he has become allergic to antiperspirant.  He has managed to find a brand for sensitive skin which he can tolerate but he didn’t have this at the caravan and used a can in the bathroom cabinet.  On waking on Sunday the first thing Phil did was jump in the shower to wash the deodorant off.  We had some stuff to do before heading to MK but we did have time for scrambled eggs and beans on toast. Yummy.

We were back at the GP flat before half nine.  I left Phil writing letters for Daphne’s estate and then went round to Sue’s to pick up the washing.  Not only had she washed and dried but she’d also ironed it all.  What a good friend, it helped me no out big time but it did make me feel very guilty.  After Sue’s I went to Newport Pagnell to pick up my prescription.  The doctor phoned on Friday to tell me that my blood tests showed that I was low in calcium and said that the doctor had prescribed me calcium tables.  Unfortunately they were not in stock so that was a bit of a wasted journey.  Afterwards I went to Sainsburys to get a few bits and then I went to top the electric and gas meters at the flat.  I put the heating on to continuous and set the thermostat to 20 so it should be okay whilst we are away.  Adam from Prestige tells me that we have 2 viewings there today so hopefully one of these will result in a let. 


Jim and Shirley very kindly invited us yesterday afternoon to watch the Japanese Grand Prix and to have lunch with them.  I should have really driven but in the end we decided to get a taxi.  There was a small hitch when Jim went to switch on Sky, he discovered that there was a technical problem and the Grand Prix hadn’t recorded properly.  All was not lost because Jim and Phil were able to watch the build up and then switch over to watch the highlights on BBC1.  I didn't really watch it as I was too busy chatting to Shirley about Tom and Younga’s wedding.  From what Shirley tells me, it’s going to be a really fun occasion. We had savory macaroni topped with cheese and garlic bread for lunch, lots of nibbles and too much wine and cider but it was a fun afternoon. Thanks to Jim & Shirley for inviting us and thanks to Dan for the lift home.

All in all, it was a good weekend. Things are looking up.  Only 2 more sleeps and then we fly off for 2 whole weeks in the sunshine.  As well as chew-able calcium tablets, this girl needs a big dose of vitamin D and I think this break is well deserved even if I do say so myself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment