17 Oct 2012

Still Chilling



I never thought Claire was ever going to blog.  She argued with me as to who was going to do the first one and I won because I only took about 3 photos before my camera charge ran out.  Good job I did otherwise you would still be waiting.  Anyway, a little bit more about our apartment.  Its quite clean and tidy but a little on the small size.  We didn't opt for the pay tv because all they have in English is news channels and you know how I feel about them.  We also didn't opt for the aircon because I’m tight.  Well, even without it Claire seems cold all the time indoors, so I figured that if I had paid for it I wouldn't be able to use it anyway.  Its not that comfy though.  The dinning chairs and the outside chairs are not comfortable and the sofa seat is twice the size of the backrest so thats not comfy either.  I find the bed comfy so I have been spending most of my time there.


We have a big shower inside a wetroom.  This sounds better than it is because for a wetroom to work properly, the floor should be sloping towards the drain.  Ours isn’t.  In fact the drain seems to be the highest point in the room.  When the wetroom fills up I think the water will go into the kitchen before it goes down the drain.  Consequently we keep soaking towels to get rid of the water.  We do have a nice clothes horse though so its easy to dry them in this heat.  I guess that its about 26 to 27 each day but we do get some clouds mainly in the morning.


Clair mentioned the market but I wanted to put my photo of it on so just a couple more words.  Claire mentioned that about 95% of the market traders were Africans.  Seriously, I know it only a couple of hundred miles to the coast of africa but thats a hell of a swim.  They were all even dressed in their traditional African dress.  Still it gave me a chance for me to stock up on my cheap sunglasses and watches.


We have had a couple of nice walks along the beach but once you get away from the bay it looks more like a typical Canary island coastal walk with the black volcanic rock lining the sea.  One part looked a bit similar to the giants causeway except bigger.


As we have been chilling out so much here so far I have already rad all my books.  Either I have to write a blog a day or get on with my book.  I have actually started on it the other day and am just about getting with it again.  After so long you loose your train of thoughts, especially when so many other things have been going on.  I do still have some books on my ipad so if Im desperate I can still read.  Also on my ipad are the thousands of offline pages that I have saved from wikipedia to help me with the book.  Because I have so many, I can never find the one I want so its quicker to download it again.  It could do with a search feature but I guess tat they never expected anyone to download so many pages to it.


Before we came I researched the best restaurants in the area with one called “restaurant 15” taking the top spot.  They have 15 main courses on the menu numbered 1 to 15 with number 1 being the most popular.  Each week they replace the two lowest ranking dishes with two more.  What a great idea!  We have been down twice now for lunch there but it is always closed.  I guess that they only open for dinner.  It did say on a website that they were open for lunch.  We keep having to find an alternative which is always a little disappointing when we were already looking forward to the top one.  I suppose that we will have to have a sandwich for lunch one day and go out for dinner like everyone else.


We had a chinese lunch today and sat in the shade but outside.  This couple came along with two small kids eating ice cream.  They changed their mind and decided to go back the way that they had come from when right next to us.  The little girl slipped off the curb and stuck her ice cream into her brothers ear.  I’m not sure which of them cried the loudest.  That image has kept me going all day.  Should have had my camera at the ready.  I got my camera charged up again but I cant get the photos onto my computer; its a real pain.  I might have to go and buy one of those SD to usb things.


We tried to book a car after lunch today for tomorrow but they are all shut for siesta between 2 and 5pm.  I didn't want a siesta anyway.  I guess that we will go down in the morning after I have posted this blog.


This picture was taken inside the Barcelo reception.  We tried to go for lunch in there but failed again.  They have a restaurant, that is second on the list, called "La Paella".  We couldn't find it.



The nasty jumping spiders out here even eat those wasps that lay their eggs inside the caterpillars.  When I woke up with a massive painful bite on the inside of my elbow, I looked around to see if I could find the culprit.  There was a jumping spider on my headboard watching me.  I had the feeling that he liked me.  They look very alert, with their two large eyes and two small ones, that seem to follow you around.  I didn’t like him incase it was he that had bitten me so ferociously in the night.  I tried to kill him twice but he jumped to safety out of sight.  In the day, the bite, with two heads, had inflamed and swollen to over two inches in diameter and it hurt real bad.  When I went in the bedroom in the evening, I spotted him again, watching me from the headboard.  This time, I killed him first time and left him squidged on the headboard as a warning to any more that might be around.  I read for a while and later. I thought I saw something moving where the spider was.  I was right; there were about a thousand tiny ants eating the spider on my headboard.  I got some tissue and flushed the lot down the toilet.  The next day while watching the Korean GP at the pub, the waitress noticed the massive swelling on my arm and asked to have a look at it.  She said that it was most likely a spider bite because of the two heads and the size of the inflammation.  When spiders eat a fly, they bite it with their two incisors that move sideways, injecting it with poison that anesthetizes the fly (but its still conscious)  the poison also turns the fly’s insides into a soup which it drinks up like a soup.  I guess thats what happened to my arm and why the inflammation is so large.

No comments:

Post a Comment