18 Oct 2012

On the road again


We decided to have another chill day on Wednesday and started out early walking along the beach to the salt flats which, according to the book, is a 3 hour walk.  It was quite overcast so the going was easier than if we had been in bright sunshine but the photos are never as good.


There is a salt museum when you finally get there and as we were both quite desperate for the toilet decided to pay the €5 charge each.  It was a complete waste of time with only a couple of dozen of photographs inside light boxes with a load of words written about each.  Unfortunately, they were all in Spanish with no translations.  Still, the toilets were nice and we headed straight back home.


I settled for an icecream which is the first of the holiday for me.  We, one of those mivi things with a berry outside lolly.  MMmm, I feel like walking back that way again now.


I got on with my book, while Claire slowly supped wine reading her books.  Unfortunately, there was very little sun all day.  We headed into town to share a pizza between us as we wanted to save ourselves for dinner at the restaurant 15.


Changed and ready, we still had time to check out car hire places and I settled for one.  It was €100 for a car for 4 days or €120 for a week.  For the extra €20, even if we only use it to fetch the supermarket stuff its got to be worth it.


Restaurant 15 turned out to be a disaster.  I had the number 1 dish which was supposed to be chicken in tomato and chorizo while Claire had number 4 which was a sirloin steak in cheese and mustard.  Claire asked for hers medium but it was blue and mine was cooked in a BBQ sauce which is one of the few things that I don't like.  The bottle of wine that we bought was ok though.  Claire’s steak was also really gristly so she hardly managed any of it.  It didn't help that the vegetables that came in a separate bowl were raw.  We don’t like them too soft but these had hardly seen any heat at all.  When the waiter asked Claire if everything was ok, I wanted to hide.  She certainly left him with no chance but to take hers off the bill altogether.  Maybe we just chose the wrong dishes but we shan't be going back there again anyway; even if they would let us in.


The cars ok, its a white allegro.  I always take a photo of it when I first pick it up so I can always find it again and have a record of the registration plate.  Claire had a really bad nights sleep, and so did I really.  I had woken up at 12.30am for the toilet and didn't get back to sleep again until 3.30am.  I woke Claire up and she got up at 1.15am until 3.30am and messed around on her computer.  The man in the car shop had given me a big map of the island and highlighted all the good places to see and also where all the good restaurants were.  We headed south but the weather got worse and worse until it started to rain.  It wasn’t worth getting out for a walk anywhere so we just drove around so that why we don’t have any photos.


By the time that we had got down to Jandia peninsula where all the naked beaches are and the sun came out.  We couldn’t find anywhere to park as the place was packed out with tourists but we didn’t see anyone without their clothes on.  It wasn’t really our sort of place with its wall to wall tourist food shops.  We got as far as Morro Jable and drove back again looking for a half decent place for lunch.


One of the places that he had circled on the map for good restaurants was on the opposite coast at La Pared.  He had told me of a place with great views while you ate that did great fish.  We found the town but couldn't seem to find our way to the beach somehow and the only place that we could find to eat was a cafe full of German tourists, we couldn’t even get a seat.  We headed off into the Golf complex and found a restaurant called El Camello but there was nobody there.  They had all sorts of Canary dishes on the menu and not a pizza in sight.  They even had goat dishes.  As it was such good value we both went for the menu of the day which was a 3 course with wine for €8.50.  Fabulous value for money.  Claire had tuna salad followed by fish, roasted veg and wedgies then some fresh fruit while I had the chorizo tortilla followed by a chicken risotto style dish and ice cream.  I think Claire’s fish looked like dover sole.  Every course was lovely; I hope we get chance to go back there again.  Next time I will try the Canarian cheese and the goat dish from the main menu.  Sod the views.


You will never believe what bit me last night.  A bloody lizard.  Not just any old ordinary lizard but one of those that eat those jumping spiders that eat those wasps that lay their eggs inside caterpillars.  You want to see the size of my inflammation.

No comments:

Post a Comment