Another month gone already and again I haven't had chance to prepare my end of month report until the last minute. Here I am writing this, uploading photographs and backing everything up at 2.30am in the last weekend of the month. We have finally finished the flat in Giffard and we are here for the winter. Its only a one bed so we cant put people up here and have to stay in our caravans when we have guests. This month, just as the flat was ready we seemed to have all our guests arrive just when its getting a little too cold to be camping. I couldn’t sleep last night because Claire left the central heating on and we are not used to it being warm. By the time I had wriggled around, got up and switched it off I was ready for my breakfast so just having a piece of toast and a cup of tea while I write this.
Their lounge is also nice but basic and it looks like they too could have done with a new table and chairs. She is sharing with two of her girlfriends. They were originally looking for a palace for seven of them to share without success so the other four lads are all sharing together further south. I guess that there will be a bit of swapsies going on regarding who stays where.
Our next caravan guests were John and Marie who are getting ready for their winter trip. Well, John is actually going on his own this year. Marie was supposed to be going with her daughter to Florida but they recently fell out. Im not sure why she hasn’t decided to go to La Manga with John now that the other trips off. Marie sold her motorhome and bought a car so John had to buy a caravan and get it towed over to La manger where he will leave it in storage over the summer. John was scheduled to drive over last weekend but the French workers at the port went on strike so it was delayed by a week. They waited the week to find that it has been delayed for a further week so they have decided to travel from a different port and drive all the ay through France. I think they will be on their way today or tomorrow. Good luck, have a nice winter. We all went over to Sue’s house for dinner while they were here. In fact we met Sue through John and Marie originally as Sue used to go to La Manga as well. More about Sue in a moment.
No sooner had John and Marie left my mum and dad came down for a week or so while their central heating was replaced. It was lovely to have them over but their stay was a little too long, especially as our caravan is not as comfortable now that we have moved the good stuff to the flat. It seems much better for all when we meet in short doses. It was also quite cold and the tv in their caravan was playing up. For some reason all the BBC channels were very unstable. Its not the tv as we have used it on many different houses so it could have only been the aerial which I will sort out when we get a moment. As it rained every day that they were here we didn’t get chance to do much other than go shopping which is not my favorite pass time anyway. As the plumber hadn’t rang us with his progress on Wednesday as promised I rang him on the Thursday to find that they could go home on the following day (Friday). Dad was very pleased and I think Claire was as well. At least now they will have a nice warm reliable house for the winter.
I have been a member of the Open University library for over a year now; its the best £40 I ever spent. Last week I took Alfy with me while I changed a couple of books. He has used the OU library before when he was doing his research degree which he did with the OU many years ago but it was in a different place then. We were driving out and I spotted that the old oak tree outside Walton hall had been chopped down. I hope it wasn’t to make my doors with in the flat. Anyway, someone has carved into the living trunk which I thought looked great.
Its also been a bit of a month for Sue recovering from her operation. As her tumor was so large they couldn't perform micro surgery and so had to make large incisions in the old fashioned way. They didn’t stitch it up in the old fashioned way though and used a modern adhesive. Trouble is with this method that the wound cant naturally weep any fluids that build up so when they accumulate they swell up like a big boil. When they burst its like a nightmare though and you require towels rather than dressings. One good thing is that you can stick it back down yourself with a tube of super glue. Anyway, after all the trauma that Sue has been through she has finally had some great news; she’s in the clear! It looks like the operation was a success and that it hasn’t mastitised. They still have a couple of tests to do like sticking a camera up her bum but the indications are very good so far. Thats the best news this month and Sue should be able to drive again next week so will be pretty much back to normal soon. Sorry about the photo Sue but I love it and couldn’t resist using it. Good job I picked a good moment though. Watch out for that golf ball!
The other great news is that we are finally in the flat for the winter, except for the odd night in the caravan when we chose, and that I just booked a holiday. We have two weeks in Fueteventura. We still have busy schedules but I just managed to squeeze this one in. We both need this holiday, it seems such a long time since we last got away. Its the first time that we have stayed on this island as well so thats something to look forward to although I don’t intend to do our usual thing of dashing around everywhere; this will be more of a normal relaxing holiday to recover from all our stress of this year. The norm on this island is totally nude sunbathing so I must remember to take my good camera with the long lens. Trouble is, it means that I will only get one Wednesday night where I can walk to the pub and back next month. We are traveling on a Wednesday which means that I will miss the next three Wednesdays after this first one of the month. Still you cant have everything. Of course, this should also mean that you should get quite a few more of my blog entries next month. I can hear the groans already but I know that you cant wait really. Have a good one, we intend to.




Thanks for the mention Phil, but it will take a lot of grovelling before I forgive you for that photo!!! Hope you both have a wonderful holiday, you both deserve it - I would never have got through this last crisis without your help.Love Sue XXXXXX
ReplyDeleteJan tells me that the carving was done by a chap using a chain saw. Very impressive
ReplyDeleteFrom the style of it I guess that it's the farmer from Shenley Pavilions. He has chain saw sculptures all around his farm.
ReplyDelete