23 Jan 2012

Le Weekend

Here we are on another somewhat mild Monday morning and I am wondering where the weekend went.   It seemed to go in a flash.  Our Friday evening was relaxing,  HH came round for her omelette and chips and after she went it was wine, pyjamas and a bit of telly with sweets from The Manor.  Phil & I really wanted to be up quite early because we were driving down to Phil’s mum and dads but it the end it was gone half eight by the time we left Newport on Saturday morning.  We got to Melton just before 10am.  Poor mum and dad were in a bit of a state when we got there.  Bet had not slept all night and she said she was in the shower at half past four.  I think she is stressed out by the move and is worried about all the packing and unpacking at the other end.   Poor George wasn’t any better either.   He’d managed to get to the doctors last Thursday and the doc checked him over and told them that she was going to send out the heart nurse.  They expected the heart nurse on Friday but she didn’t arrive and I’m guessing she doesn’t work weekends so fingers crossed she gets out to see him today.

The reason for going down on Saturday was to pack boxes and pack boxes is what we did.  We managed to empty all of the wall units and filled boxes with umpteen million glasses and tacky ornaments.  What is it with old people and bad taste and the fact that they can’t bear to part with anything?  Yes I am being harsh but only for the reason that I know I am going to have unpack all this tack sometime next week.  Phil’s mum wanted to go into town so I took her while Phil got up the ladder to take down the German satelight dish.  For lunch, Phil’s mum did stew and dumplings with apple crumble and custard for pudding.  Before we left, Phil phoned the hospital and was lucky enough to get straight through to ward 7 to speak to Aunt Daphne.  Daphne has been ill with a sickness and diarrhoea bug which has plagued the whole ward, causing the staff to shut the ward to visitors.  Fortunately Daphne was feeling a lot better and sometime this week she is going for a 2 week stay in a private nursing home.  She is anxious to get back to her own home, which is understandable but care needs to be sorted before this can happen.

We left Melton Mowbray at 3pm and got back to Sue’s before it got dark.  I did wonder whether we ought to have stayed overnight and tackled the outside shed but I figured that 2 days back at work for Phil and I figured he needed some R&R time.  Yesterday was fairly chilled; I went to the gym for a run and we did some paperwork when I got back.  For lunch we decided to go with Sue to The Barge.  The pub was really busy, we hadn’t booked but luckily we managed to get a table. We had to wait a fair while for our lunch, but when it came, it was certainly well worth the wait.  Sue & I had the roast turkey and Phil went for the fish and chips.  It was a nice meal.  Yesterday afternoon was a mellow one.  Sue had to go to see her dad although not before she had to endure a recording of Celebrity Big Brother.  Normally she wouldn’t watch such crap TV but with me and Phil staying, she doesn’t have much choice. 

Although we slobbed out in front of the telly, I still managed to cook a chilli and do the ironing.  I have been rather lazy in the domestics, well actually I have been rather lazy with everything.  I really must get into a routine.  Maybe this is the week that I will manage to get my shit together.  Maybe; right now I must get my lazy bones to the gym.  I got on Sue's bathroom scales yesterday morning and it was not good news. 

No comments:

Post a Comment