We awoke on Tuesday morning to sounds of garden furniture being thrown around in next door's garden. The caravan was rocking and rolling and I forced myself to check outside our van to see if we had incurred any damage from the high winds. We were lucky; the tarpaulin had blown off the bikes and the odd bits of skirting stored in a plastic box had been blown about but that was it. It certainly does bring you closer to nature living in a caravan and whilst the rocking and rolling was a little scary at first, its nice feeling snug and warm in the van whilst living amongst the elements. I can tell just by the temperature in our bedroom whether there has been a frost when I wake up in the mornings.
Phil went with G to Melton Mowbray first thing on Tuesday morning as she wanted to see her grandparents before heading back to University. I didn't go as I was driving down to Suffolk to see my sister but I hadn't planned to leave until the afternoon so I took myself off to the gym. I hadn't got far when I nearly had an accident. I was just driving slowly over the Overstone roundabout when I skidded and completely lost control of my car. I tried to steer it in the direction that I wanted to go but instead my car did a complete twizzle round and I ended up on the roundabout facing the wrong direction. It scared the living daylights out of me. My hands were trembling like crazy but fortunately there wasn't much traffic around so I steered my car on to a side road. I got out to check my tyres because I did think perhaps I may have had a blow out but the tyres were fine. I almost drove back home because I was shaking so much but I carried on to the gym for my workout.
I was glad I wasn't driving down to Suffolk in the morning because of the horrible weather; I eventually left the van around 1pm and thankfully the winds had died down and the rain had stopped. I was nervous about the drive because I was going a different route to usual and the crappy sat nav was playing up. Thankfully I had the sense to print out directions from the AA website, because without these, I wouldnt have found my way. I ended up in the town centre of Ipswich and was helplessly lost. It was getting dark and I thought there was no way am I going to find my sisters house but by some fluke and a few prayers I did. What a relief.
My sister Julia was half expecting me to phone her as she was expecting me to get lost. None of us sisters are good with directions and so it must be a family dud gene. I couldn't believe that Julia had lived in her house for 8 years and neither Phil or I had visited. I guess its because most of the family live in Woodbridge so we tend to stay at Louise & Mark's. I had the grand tour, drank some tea, had a chat and then we walked down to the quayside for dinner. Again this was another first, I had never seen the quayside since its redevelopment. I was impressed and would actually like to see it in the daylight. Julia had booked a table at a restaurant called the Bistro and we had the 2 course set menu. It was very good and although the restaurant was a little quiet, it had plenty of ambience. Unfortunately several glasses of red wine and a late night and I felt pretty crap the following morning. I shared a bed with Julia and I don't think she was very impressed when I tried to spoon her in the night thinking she was Phil!
I had tea and toast and set off not long after 9am. Actually judging by my hangover, I don't think I was probably legal to drive but I had stuff to do and needed to get back. I took it slowly and ended up getting lost on the A14 so it was almost midday by the time I got back to Overstone. I rarely drive long distances so every time I have to do it, it is a big ordeal for me. Phil did steak and chips for lunch but I can't say I was really hungry. We have had a couple of dodgy steaks from our local butcher and I think we need to more selective when we buy from there.
After lunch, I did emails, we had showers and packed a bag and drove to Sue's. We were bagging a bed because Phil was out with the Wednesday boys and also we had volunteered to go to court with her the following day and needed to go through the court papers. I had cooked a lasagne and brought some salad and the plan was to have supper and a quiet night in readiness for court, but did this happen? In one word, No. We always have the very best intentions but somehow the one bottle of red turned into 3. Oh dear, as with every New Year, my resolutions are flying out of the window and I am failing miserably with my resolve.
Needless to say, we were a little jaded on Thursday morning but there was no time to feel sorry for ourselves as we had to be in court at 10am. The reason for the court was because Sue's ex tenenat was sueing for removal costs, a digital aerial and various other trivial items, including money for the stress of moving. His claim was for £3.5k Now this is the guy that moved out taking all of her furniture! The injustice is unbelievable and obviously Sue had no choice but to defend the case and countersue. The county court waiting room was packed and the atmosphere was very strained. Although Sue had to be there at 10am, we had no idea what time the case would be called. In the end, the case was called at quarter past twelve. Phil went in with Sue but coward that I am, I stayed in the waiting room with my Kindle.
They came out at 1pm as the hearing was ajouned until 2pm giving the judge time for lunch. It didn't leave us much time and we were undecided about where to eat but we ended up at the express cafe in M&S. It was okay, cups of tea and steak baguettes and we had just enough time to eat and get back to the court just before 2pm. The waiting room was fairly empty and Sue & Phil went in almost straight away. They eventually came out at quarter to 4pm. Sue didn't win but neither did she loose. The tenant, Mr Goodman, theiving, lying, wanker, low-life got awarded £350 but it had cost him £580 to bring the case to the small claims court. Sue had to pay him £350 and she also had to pay £180 to counter-sue. It seems crazy that she had to pay out to her tenant considering all the stuff he had stolen from her but this was due to the crap agent not doing a check-out inventory. Lessons have been learnt and whilst it still doesn't seem fair to me, at least Sue can now have closure and put this horrible ordeal behind her.
We dropped Sue off at Newport and headed straight back to the caravan. We were both tired, me from 2 late nights and too much vino but also it had been a very long tense and anxious day. We watched some telly and I had a fairly night although Phil did stay up to watch the first episode of Celebrity BB. This morning we awoke at 7am and left at 8am to drive to Melton Mowbray. It was icy and Phil had to scrap the car. We really had planned to leave a bit earlier but the caravan was freezing so it was back to bed for a cup of tea while the gas fire warmed everywhere up.
Phil's dad is still unwell and now he doesn't feel well enough to drive his car so the reason for the today's visit was to take them to see their solicitor in Loughborough to sign the contracts on the house. Their appointment was for half ten so we got there about quarter past nine and half an hour later Phil bundled mum and dad into the car and I stayed home alone to do the lunch. Lunch was easy because I'd taken down a lasagne and so all I had to do was whack baked potatoes in the oven, prepare the salad and put the garlic bread in at the last minute. Phil and his mum dad went to Aldi's after the solicitor but they were back home just in time for me to serve up at midday.
We wanted to leave Melton after lunch but we needed to stay so that we could take mum for a doctor's appointment at 3pm. Poor Bet is really suffering with her arthritus and its got worse because she has been over doing it. Phil & I took her to see a new doctor and I went in with her. And what a good job I did, because I had to do all the talking. The doc upped her pain killers and said that if that didn't do the trick then to go back after 3 weeks and she would organise an ultra sound scan and possible a cortisone injection. It was almost dark when we got home after another long day. I am not sure what the plans for the weekend are because we need to phone Jim this evening and see how Aunt Daphne is. If she's still in hospital then we need to get our buts to Lowestoft and go pay her a visit. There is always something. I feel 2012 is going to be the year for looking out for the oldies.
Phil went with G to Melton Mowbray first thing on Tuesday morning as she wanted to see her grandparents before heading back to University. I didn't go as I was driving down to Suffolk to see my sister but I hadn't planned to leave until the afternoon so I took myself off to the gym. I hadn't got far when I nearly had an accident. I was just driving slowly over the Overstone roundabout when I skidded and completely lost control of my car. I tried to steer it in the direction that I wanted to go but instead my car did a complete twizzle round and I ended up on the roundabout facing the wrong direction. It scared the living daylights out of me. My hands were trembling like crazy but fortunately there wasn't much traffic around so I steered my car on to a side road. I got out to check my tyres because I did think perhaps I may have had a blow out but the tyres were fine. I almost drove back home because I was shaking so much but I carried on to the gym for my workout.
I was glad I wasn't driving down to Suffolk in the morning because of the horrible weather; I eventually left the van around 1pm and thankfully the winds had died down and the rain had stopped. I was nervous about the drive because I was going a different route to usual and the crappy sat nav was playing up. Thankfully I had the sense to print out directions from the AA website, because without these, I wouldnt have found my way. I ended up in the town centre of Ipswich and was helplessly lost. It was getting dark and I thought there was no way am I going to find my sisters house but by some fluke and a few prayers I did. What a relief.
My sister Julia was half expecting me to phone her as she was expecting me to get lost. None of us sisters are good with directions and so it must be a family dud gene. I couldn't believe that Julia had lived in her house for 8 years and neither Phil or I had visited. I guess its because most of the family live in Woodbridge so we tend to stay at Louise & Mark's. I had the grand tour, drank some tea, had a chat and then we walked down to the quayside for dinner. Again this was another first, I had never seen the quayside since its redevelopment. I was impressed and would actually like to see it in the daylight. Julia had booked a table at a restaurant called the Bistro and we had the 2 course set menu. It was very good and although the restaurant was a little quiet, it had plenty of ambience. Unfortunately several glasses of red wine and a late night and I felt pretty crap the following morning. I shared a bed with Julia and I don't think she was very impressed when I tried to spoon her in the night thinking she was Phil!
I had tea and toast and set off not long after 9am. Actually judging by my hangover, I don't think I was probably legal to drive but I had stuff to do and needed to get back. I took it slowly and ended up getting lost on the A14 so it was almost midday by the time I got back to Overstone. I rarely drive long distances so every time I have to do it, it is a big ordeal for me. Phil did steak and chips for lunch but I can't say I was really hungry. We have had a couple of dodgy steaks from our local butcher and I think we need to more selective when we buy from there.
After lunch, I did emails, we had showers and packed a bag and drove to Sue's. We were bagging a bed because Phil was out with the Wednesday boys and also we had volunteered to go to court with her the following day and needed to go through the court papers. I had cooked a lasagne and brought some salad and the plan was to have supper and a quiet night in readiness for court, but did this happen? In one word, No. We always have the very best intentions but somehow the one bottle of red turned into 3. Oh dear, as with every New Year, my resolutions are flying out of the window and I am failing miserably with my resolve.
Needless to say, we were a little jaded on Thursday morning but there was no time to feel sorry for ourselves as we had to be in court at 10am. The reason for the court was because Sue's ex tenenat was sueing for removal costs, a digital aerial and various other trivial items, including money for the stress of moving. His claim was for £3.5k Now this is the guy that moved out taking all of her furniture! The injustice is unbelievable and obviously Sue had no choice but to defend the case and countersue. The county court waiting room was packed and the atmosphere was very strained. Although Sue had to be there at 10am, we had no idea what time the case would be called. In the end, the case was called at quarter past twelve. Phil went in with Sue but coward that I am, I stayed in the waiting room with my Kindle.
They came out at 1pm as the hearing was ajouned until 2pm giving the judge time for lunch. It didn't leave us much time and we were undecided about where to eat but we ended up at the express cafe in M&S. It was okay, cups of tea and steak baguettes and we had just enough time to eat and get back to the court just before 2pm. The waiting room was fairly empty and Sue & Phil went in almost straight away. They eventually came out at quarter to 4pm. Sue didn't win but neither did she loose. The tenant, Mr Goodman, theiving, lying, wanker, low-life got awarded £350 but it had cost him £580 to bring the case to the small claims court. Sue had to pay him £350 and she also had to pay £180 to counter-sue. It seems crazy that she had to pay out to her tenant considering all the stuff he had stolen from her but this was due to the crap agent not doing a check-out inventory. Lessons have been learnt and whilst it still doesn't seem fair to me, at least Sue can now have closure and put this horrible ordeal behind her.
We dropped Sue off at Newport and headed straight back to the caravan. We were both tired, me from 2 late nights and too much vino but also it had been a very long tense and anxious day. We watched some telly and I had a fairly night although Phil did stay up to watch the first episode of Celebrity BB. This morning we awoke at 7am and left at 8am to drive to Melton Mowbray. It was icy and Phil had to scrap the car. We really had planned to leave a bit earlier but the caravan was freezing so it was back to bed for a cup of tea while the gas fire warmed everywhere up.
Phil's dad is still unwell and now he doesn't feel well enough to drive his car so the reason for the today's visit was to take them to see their solicitor in Loughborough to sign the contracts on the house. Their appointment was for half ten so we got there about quarter past nine and half an hour later Phil bundled mum and dad into the car and I stayed home alone to do the lunch. Lunch was easy because I'd taken down a lasagne and so all I had to do was whack baked potatoes in the oven, prepare the salad and put the garlic bread in at the last minute. Phil and his mum dad went to Aldi's after the solicitor but they were back home just in time for me to serve up at midday.
We wanted to leave Melton after lunch but we needed to stay so that we could take mum for a doctor's appointment at 3pm. Poor Bet is really suffering with her arthritus and its got worse because she has been over doing it. Phil & I took her to see a new doctor and I went in with her. And what a good job I did, because I had to do all the talking. The doc upped her pain killers and said that if that didn't do the trick then to go back after 3 weeks and she would organise an ultra sound scan and possible a cortisone injection. It was almost dark when we got home after another long day. I am not sure what the plans for the weekend are because we need to phone Jim this evening and see how Aunt Daphne is. If she's still in hospital then we need to get our buts to Lowestoft and go pay her a visit. There is always something. I feel 2012 is going to be the year for looking out for the oldies.

I fear that your last sentence also sums up the year ahead for Jan and I!!
ReplyDeletei'm so cross that Sue had to pay that arse money :(
ReplyDeleteE x
Yes Steve, I fear that for you and Jan as well. Today we're off to see Phil's aunt in hospital which will entail a 6 hour round trip. Hey ho!
ReplyDeleteme to Emma. The law has gone too much on the side of the tenant and the landlord loses out every time :( C x
ReplyDelete