24 Aug 2012

Susie Sue & the Operation



We left Overstone real early on Monday; I dropped Phil off at the GP flat and got to Sue’s house just before half seven. As expected Sue was already packed and ready to go.  She was really cool, a little anxious but that was only to be expected.  Actually if I am honest, I think I was more nervous than she was.   I know it’s not me or my body but it seems that we have been waiting for surgery for a long, long time.  It almost seems sadistic to say that Sue was looking forward to surgery because that would be untrue.  But when you have an alien in your womb that you don’t know what its damaging it’s only natural to want it out.  Sue wanted it out ASAP and although she knew that she would feel pretty crap for some weeks afterwards, she was ready for the operation.

Our drive to Oxford was pretty smooth.  In fact we probably left a tad too early but hey it was a Monday morning and you never know with the M40.  We arrived in plenty of time and got to the Jane Asherley ward just before 10 am.  We had to wait a little while before admission to the ward but Sue was advised to get there for 10 am because the cardiology wanted to see her.  As it happened, Sue was issued one of the only 2 private rooms and it was lovely.  I was really impressed with the ward in total. Only female patients and only female nursing staff.  The added bonus was the day room which not only had a fridge but also tea and coffee making facilities with fresh milk.  Sue’s room had its own bathroom with a free TV; the view was over the car park.  Me and Sue joked that it could almost that we could almost have been in a hotel.  We expected lots to happen but aside from OB’s it didn’t.  I left at about half two after Sue having had to literally kick me out the door.  I was reluctant to leave but there was so much waiting around and there really wasn’t much I could do. I gave Sue a big hug; I wished her luck and said I would see her other side. It was a bit of a sad goodbye for me and I have to say, although Sue was light and breezy, my heart was heavy when I left her.


Tuesday was a messy day. Phil left Overstone for MK in the Landrover around 8.30am and I left 
in my car about quarter past nine. I was on a time limit because I had to be in Bletchley for 10.00am to get my windscreen changed in order for my car to pass the MOT.  Luckily the sun was shining and I already knew that I had to wait for 2 hours.  It was a bit of long wait but I sat out the time with Sue’s kindle at the Burger Van across the way with several cups of tea.  I have to say that Sue was very much on my mind. I already knew that she was one of the first down to theatre on Tuesday morning and I was conscious that whilst I was supping cups of polystyrene tea, my good friend was under the chop.  Finally I got my car complete with new windscreen back at quarter past twelve.  I dropped by at the GP flat to see Phil and then I went to DAYS garage to get a re-MOT.  It seemed to take forever but by half one I was finally legal, thank goodness.

After the Re MOT I went to Sue’s house and whilst I was there I got a call from Matt (Sue’s son) to say that the operation had gone well and she was in recovery waiting to come back up to the ward.  Because of the carcinoid and Sue’s rare condition, it was always a condition that Sue would go straight to ICU after her operation so it was great news that she was going straight back to the ward.  

Thank goodness it went well  and much better than expected.  I have much respect for Sue; she has more strength and courage than any other person that I have met and god only knows, these last 2 years she has certainly needed it.  I went to see her at the Churchill yesterday and was amazed to see her sitting up in her chair.  Yes she was tired, and yes was attached to drips (several) but she looked good, as Sue always does . It was amazing seeing that she had just had major surgery the day before.  I was really relieved to see her in such good form. Okay not dancing around with red wine in the kitchen good form, no, but none-the-less, in really good shape considering the surgery she had just undergone.  



Unfortunately there was an accident on the A34 and the journey back to MK was long and tiring.  The drove to Oxford and back can be tedious at the best of times but yesterday was not one of my journeys.   Phil went out, as usual, with the Wednesday night boys and it felt a bit weird staying at Sue’s house without her.    I ate one of Sue’s frozen fish pies which was actually lovely.  It was a bit of a weird evening which was interrupted by Sue’s friend, Dave the plumber and his dog. Luckily they didn’t stay very long which was good because I suspect I wasn’t very good company.

This morning we drove down to Melton Mowbray to see Phil’s mum and dad.  It had been 3 weeks since we last saw them and we were pleased to see them and them us.  I am always glad to be busy and because the plumber had been in the day before, I was able to paste back the loose wall paper where the radiators had been.  I also painted the pantry and Phil built new shelves.  We went to lunch at the Bowls Club and it was very nice.  Not nouvelle cuisine but I was glad that Phil’s mum didn’t have to cook for a change.  The journey back was tiresome and long.   I am feeling weary but so glad to hear from Sue tonight.  All tubes are out, she has been moved to another unit and I am going to see her tomorrow.   Hopefully she will be able to come out of hospital over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment