10 Aug 2012

A week with good progress



We have had a busy but very productive week.  Phil worked solidly at the GP flat on Monday and managed to get the kitchen finished.   I have to say that I am really pleased with the way the kitchen has turned out.  Phil did very good.  He stayed home on Tuesday whilst I went over to MK.  First stop off was Sue’s for tea, toast and a catch-up.  When I got to the flat, the gardeners, Will and Dan were already there, busy hacking down the weeds.  I did some cleaning up in the flat; I did a couple of tip runs and grabbed a shower at the health club.  I had taken my gym kit with every intention of trying a workout but it just didn’t happen.  I can’t remember the last time I worked out, it’s been at least a month and probably much longer.

We drove to MK in separate cars on Wednesday morning because Phil had to have his Land Rover at Days garage by 8.30am and I wasn’t quite ready to leave.  His car was booked in for an MOT; whilst going through paperwork on Monday I nearly freaked out when I realised that Phil’s MOT ran out at the end of April! When I got to the flat, the new bath had already been delivered so we went to Wickes to buy a back-to-wall toilet, a sink, taps and bathroom units.   We did well to fit them in the Chevrolet and it was hard work getting them all up the steps but we managed.  Lunch on Wednesday was a shared portion of chips with curry sauce, a battered sausage and half a fish cake from the chip shop.  Very healthy NOT!!

Originally we were going to pull the shed down but Phil re-felted the roof and put new brackets on the door.  I painted 2 coats of dark oak and now it looks as good as new.   I was expecting the gardeners to be at the flat first thing but they didn’t show up until nearly 3pm.  Will and Dan concreted in the wooden posts in readiness for the new fence but that was about all they managed to do.   As usual we stayed at Sue’s on Wednesday evening; Phil went out with the Wednesday night boys and Sue cooked me supper.  It really was my turn to cook but Sue insisted and I gratefully accepted.  Sue has been a godsend whilst we have been doing up the GP flat and we are thankful for all the lunches, dinners, breakfasts, snacks and endless cups of tea.  Not to mention the borrowing of beds, buckets, brushes and other incidentals.  

It was all systems go at the GP flat yesterday.  Will was there early which was good because he was working alone.  He had his work cut out; he had to lay the membrane and shovel tons of gravel on to the garden.  Phil also had lots to do as he had to cut out the new bathroom units and because of the pipes he had lots of sawing to do.  It was such a hot day that he was sweating buckets with the exertion.  My job was painting the existing fencing which took me virtually all day.  Sue stopped by on her way back from the dentist to see how we were doing. She very kindly offered to bring us lunch but we weren’t that hungry and wanted to crack on.  I guess it was around 3pm by the time we finished.  We left Will at the flat still shovelling gravel and felt a little guilty for leaving early. 




It made sense to leave the Land Rover at the flat and went home in my car.  We were tired, dirty and very hungry by this point so we decided to stop off at The Manor for a bite to eat before going back to the caravan.  The sun was still out so we were able to sit and eat in the garden which was nice. We are back at the flat once again today.  We need to leave quite soon because Will said he would be there early and he needs electric so he can screw up the new fence panels.  If all goes to plan, the garden should be all finished by the end of today.  The plumber went in last night to fit the bath and he is going in over the weekend to fit the toilet and the basin.  So finally things are all coming together.   Don’t get me wrong, there is still so much to do but I reckon, give it another week and we will be finished.  Thank goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment