Phil has been dying to book a holiday for ages; I tried to delay him and in some way I succeeded, but alas there was no stopping him. He was desperate for 3 weeks in Goa but I had so many viable excuses. In the end, a week in Tenerife seemed a compromise. But it was all last minute, and with all last minute stuff, and hardly any research, well it has a habit of biting you on the bum. Don’t be fooled by the photographs of the Atlantic; they look great but appearances, believe me, can be deceiving. At first, I thought we’d been upgraded to a 2 bed but then on the first day, after an early morning scout around the site, and I mean site, as opposed to resort, that I realised that the 1 beds weren’t finished. Hence no upgrade, but a 2 bed by default.
On the surface, the apartment is cool, modern with new furnishings but it’s so obviously designed by a bloke both exterior and interior. Normally when we have self-catering, then we cook, not lots, but enough to save some euros and have a few home comforts. Not so at Altantic; we have a hob but no oven or even a toaster and the cooking utensils are basic to say the very least. What is worse though is the cold; it’s really cold in the mornings and cold in the evenings and there are not enough blankets. This apartment is geared for the summer and there are shutters on all the windows, back and front, which act as a great heat protector. But in the spring, with no warm air or cold air operating , well, it just doesn’t work. Phil got duped with this deal, and whilst I feel sorry for him, I am just glad that I didn’t book it. God forbid, he would have had my guts for garters! The Atlantic Resort in a year or so, will be good, the position of it will still be crap, some 2ks from the centre and a hideous walk to the town, but at the moment, with only one pool for 800 rooms and no bars, or cafes or restaurants, it doesn’t make for a great stay.
On the surface, the apartment is cool, modern with new furnishings but it’s so obviously designed by a bloke both exterior and interior. Normally when we have self-catering, then we cook, not lots, but enough to save some euros and have a few home comforts. Not so at Altantic; we have a hob but no oven or even a toaster and the cooking utensils are basic to say the very least. What is worse though is the cold; it’s really cold in the mornings and cold in the evenings and there are not enough blankets. This apartment is geared for the summer and there are shutters on all the windows, back and front, which act as a great heat protector. But in the spring, with no warm air or cold air operating , well, it just doesn’t work. Phil got duped with this deal, and whilst I feel sorry for him, I am just glad that I didn’t book it. God forbid, he would have had my guts for garters! The Atlantic Resort in a year or so, will be good, the position of it will still be crap, some 2ks from the centre and a hideous walk to the town, but at the moment, with only one pool for 800 rooms and no bars, or cafes or restaurants, it doesn’t make for a great stay.
It was our fourth wedding anniversary on Monday, Phil didn’t get me a card but Sue and Mum did and Phil took me to Dabda in Gulf del Sur for a very nice and very expensive meal. First we walked to Albatros which is a self- catering timeshare complex where we have stayed before. In fact, we are booked for week in early May. We had a beer at the poolside bar and a catch-up with emails and then we walked down the coast to Dabda. We had a lovely meal, just a shame about the cranes and metal walls behind us. Because our apartment is way out of town we have had some good walks, it generally takes us an hour to walk to the centre and a bit longer to get back as it’s uphill. The walking has played havoc with Phil’s feet and he got blisters on the first day. I have to say, even my shins were aching.
That first picture of Phil with a menu blackboard behind him sums up Tenerife for me - liver and bacon, spag bol, steak - where's the authentic Spanish food? And I do wonder that follows Cock.... ;~)
ReplyDeleteI meant what, not that.
ReplyDeleteHa ha Anne, trust you for spotting cock on the menu, lol! And yes you´re right, this particular restaurant was run and frequened by English most of whom were having the full English. We have yet to sample any authentic Spanish food but there is still time! xx
ReplyDeleteI have to note the OAP Discount that appears to the right of Phil's head. Have you availed yourself of that yet?
ReplyDeleteDress looks great !!!!!!!!!!!! If all else fails I'll cook you a paella when you get back:) Love Sue XXXX
ReplyDeleteThanks MBF it was certainly worth the 10 quid at Primark! A few days left so time enough to get some authentic tapas lol! Love Claire XXX
ReplyDelete