29 Mar 2012

Hi's and Low's

T
his week has been a serious of highs and lows;  the highs have mostly been down to the glorious weather that we've had this week, glorious and totally unexpected for this time of year.  The lows, well sorry folks, but I can't talk about these at the moment as they are not for public domain but probably will do in a couple of weeks.  When a third party is involved you need to respect their privacy and I for one, don't certainly want to talk out of turn or indeed tell a story that is not mine to tell.

On Monday we went to Melton Mowbray to help Phil's mum and dad and had a very productive day.   I got stuck into painting mum's bedroom.  It's only a small room but I was painting over stiple wallpaper, covering magnolia with an ivory cream but it took me 3 coats and a lot of cutting in.  Phil finished off the loft ladder and helped the man with the shed errection.  I had made a lasagne and taken it down so mum did baked spuds and German salad so lunch was easy.  We worked pretty much all day and it flew b,y but still, we were all finished our jobs and on the road by half past three.

Tuesday was another busy one; I went to DW in Northampton for one last day and then stopped off at Morrisons for supplies.  I had left Phil a list of things to do and thankfully when I got back to the van, he had completed most of them, which was just as well because Georgina turned up for lunch around midday. It was a bit of a peasant lunch I'm afraid, sausages, home made chips, french bread with a few strawberries and icecream from the freezer. It was nice to see G, we hadn't seen her ages; she ate, ansewered all of my questions and then spread herself on the lawn and read her Uni books.  She has a fun packed summer ahead and good luck to her, uni is going well and she seems to have life sorted. I wish, at 47, that I did.

I would have liked to basked in the sun with Phil & G but unfortunately I had invited 2 of the single ,divorced, middled aged guys (did I say saddos) that I talked about in my last blog, so I spent Tuesday afternoon preparing beer in red wine (and that's rump steak my friends) with shallots.   Believe me, in the heat of the day, this was the last thing I felt like doing but me and my big mouth and I had to follow through. I didn't cook it with my usual love, care and attention, Phil did the onions and I pretty much threw it into the slow cooker.  When you coook really good meat, it really needs a good 7 hours on low but I was out of time so 4 hours on high was one theoly .  Bob turned up but Richard didn't; we had a pleasant meal and indeed a pleasant evening, just a great shame that Bob out stayed his welcome and didn't go until we kicked him out.  Actually that wasn't true, I plated him up a lunch of the casserole and the left over veggies and I also put him a tupperwaer with leftover cherry pie and custard.  What a good girl I am but not not really, red wine talking and Phil asks what day is the official 'soup kitchen' opening!

Wednesday I was up early and over to Sue's in Newport by about half eight.  She kindly me tea and toast and we had a chance to talk about stuff. I left around half nine then went to the TMA to start work.   I had all my tools and decorating stuff and was ready for action but to be really honest I wasn't looking forward to it.  Phil went to Harriet's flat with his soldering iron to sort out her heaters which had failed.  They haven't been working for a few weeks, we had taken round oil filled heaters but we need these for the new caravan so they needed to be sorted.  The unfortunate thing is that they are still under warranty but can Phil find his e-receipt, NO. 

The agents professional cleaners had done a good job at the TMA flat which I guess, saved me a couple of hours.  I was there for 4 hours in total and spent my time sanding and generally touching up with white emulsion and just basically titivating.  I have my standards and sometimes I wish I didn't; but my strategy is that I can't leave a flat unless I would live in it myself.  A girl needs standards and she needes to stick by them.  I am no princess BTW but I like clean and like quality on a budget. 

I guess I got back to Sue's around midday'ish where I had agreed to meet Phil  Sue made me tea and a sandwich and did the same for Sammy the gardner, but Phil had to go into Newport to get a cheque from Nationwide so he grabbed himself a pastie. When he got back from Newport, we realised that he had left his travel wallet in the caravan with not only both our passports but with his international driving licence and all our Euro's so of course he had to drive back to Overstone to collect. He swore lots,he cursed and blamed me but actually together with his rucksack holding all of his techno stuff, this was the ONLY thing he had to think about.  I wasn't happy with the arguing but thank god I had offered to drive to Westcroft to Kilkenny House to see her dad.  It made sense really, her legs are still swollen and I wanted to go PoundSaver to get stuff for our new caravan. It worked out well, I shopped, I brought and then I went to Kilkenny House to pick up Sue.  Sue made tea and I had a chance to chat to her dad.   He's a lovely old boy but I can see why she gets frustrated sometimes.  Bill, Sue's dad, promised a jar of chutney and invited me to join him and Sue for lunch some time which was sweet.

Wednesay evening Jim very kindly picked up Phil and they went to the Fox and Hounds in Stony Stratford.  That was fine by me because Sue cooked me salmon with new potatoes and veggies and very nice it was too.  I am beginning to feel like a bit of a scrounger because that was breakfast, lunch and dinner that I had at Sue's on Wednesday.  Oh dear!  Today was quite busy.  I was awake really early so decided to go to the TMA flat to finish off at 6.30am this morning. I know that sounds crazy but I woke up thinking about the place and decided I'd rather get that job out of the way.  There wasn't much to do; touch up the paint, fit the new shower curtain and mats for the bathroom and just a few finishing touches. I got back to Sue's at half seven, thankfully she was up so we were able to have a cup of tea together.

Sue had a full day planned so she left at nine and we followed her shortly afterwards. We went in seperate cars to Harriet's flat to get stuff down from the loft for our new caravan.
I am going to be brief in this bog (not like me I hear you say) but the reason for this is that Phil has already written and will be publishing his usual end of month summing up tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment