26 Mar 2012

Le weekend and it was tres bon!


I have seen a different side to Overstone this weekend, and a very nice one it was too. Folks, on return from the 2 month shutdown with all the beautiful weather, have been out with their power hoses, cleaning, hosing down, painting sad patio furniture, putting up their gazebo’s and gutting their lawns.  They are one fastidious lot here on the park and we have joined the club too.  With the lovely sunshine we decided to get the screwdriver out to our small bit of block paving and we also went to Billing Garden Centre to buy weed killer.  I am fast forwarding though because this was the afternoon and in the morning I drove to MK stopping off at my ever faithful and welcoming friend Sue for a cup of tea and a slice of toast first.  The professional cleaners are going to the TMA flat tomorrow and it is at the tenant’s expense rather than ours for once, which is hence the reason that I haven’t been in it to sort.
Once I have a project, I don’t like to procrastinate, I want to get straight in and sort it but with everything else going on, I thought, why not see what sort of job the professionals do, then take it from there. That said, I still had to go over and put electric on the meter on Saturday so the ‘professionals had hot water and whilst I was in the flat, I stripped the sofa bed and took it back to Overstone for washing, drying and ironing.   At least I had done something.  When I got back home to the caravan, Phil was still undressed, still unwashed and hadn’t started our lunch which made me a little cross.  I nagged him out of the office, he put the BBQ on and about an hour and a half later we sat down to a spatula chicken with new potatoes and salad. It was so boiling hot inside the caravan, even with all heating off and the doors wide open.   After lunch, we went down to the garden centre to look for our very own gazebo then visited the farm shop for strawberries,  Yorkshire puddings, ice-cream and fresh cream.  Saturday evening was quiet.  Phil stayed up to watch X-Factor but yours truly was in bed by 8pm.
I had forgotten completely about the clocks going back on Sunday morning but luckily I was awake by 5am which actually was 6am so I was happy to stay awake.  I had lots to do; a cup of tea, breakfast then I peeled and then cooked the veggies for lunch, basted the lamb and then I went to the gym for a quick workout.  That doesn’t does like much, but it’s the time of the month and I feel a bit hormonal at the moment, so anything or everything seems like a bit deal. I was back home by half ten, just in time to do housework, wash my gym kit, coax Phil into the shower and put the lamb in the oven before Sue arrived just after midday.




I had invited our Harriet for dinner as well and Sue had very kindly offered to drive her here, but after a weekend of birthday partying I knew it was fairly unlikely she would come and sure enough, she didn’t.   Sue arrived sometime after midday and I think it was about quarter past one when I eventually served lunch.  Roast lamb, with slight overcooked veggies, soft roasties, burnt Yorkshire puddings but we had mint sauce and it wasn’t as bad as it sounds.  Phil showed Sue the caravan next door and she really loved it and makes us even more convinced that we are doing the right thing.   After lunch (Phil washed up BTW) and then he went down to the sales office to take back the keys and pay the £2k deposit.  Once this is paid, we are not allowed back until we pay the final balance.  When he got back, we read the Sunday papers with red wine in the sun and pudding was  strawberries with ice cream from the farm shop with fresh cream.  Late afternoon it was some telly out of the sun with a glass of red and chocolate, a cold meat supper then home James for Sue. I wasn’t kicking her out, I did offer for her to stay but she wanted to get home.  We had great R&R day and I think it did Sue good, as well as us, just to put our feet up and chill for once.   With the sun shining and temperatures almost hitting the 20’s, it feels like we are on a permanent holiday

Holiday is over as is the weekend.  Tomorrow we are off to Melton Mowbray to do jobs; I am painting Mum’s bedroom from top to bottom and Phil, bless has his own agenda of DIY jobs.  They have done well Phil’s mum and dad, seeing they have only been in their bungalow for less than 2 months.  They have had cavity wall insulation done, Phil has floor boarded the loft and fitted a new loft hatch. The roof in the bungalow needed some fixing so we’ve organised for that to be fixed plus we had a builder round to fit a perspex roof in-between the outside door and the conservatory.   We have fitted the washing line up; we have changed locks and done numerous other odd jobs to make them feel happy and comfortable. It’s not been easy but then again it’s been a life changing move.  No rest for the wicked as I always say, but to be honest, I wouldn’t have it any other way, bar to say, I wish they had of moved to MK, then that would have made life a whole easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment