Once again this week I have found myself with a reluctance
to blog mainly because I haven’t had much newsworthy blog material but I
figured seeing as I will be closing this blog off at the end of the month I may
as well have a stab. So here goes. I went to the gym on Monday morning and then
went shopping at the centre in the afternoon.
It was manic which is only to be expected at this time of year. I still haven’t finished my Christmas
shopping so I will be battling the crowds again this week. Hey ho.
I was back at the gym once again on Tuesday morning after
going to get fruit at the outdoor market.
Lunch was leftovers and then Rachel, Harriet’s friend, came round to do
my hair. Phil took himself out of the
way with various errands that he needed to run.
Rachel did me 2 colours with foil meshes, one blonde and one dark. She didn’t take much off because I am trying
to grow out my basin style cut. My hair
looked better when Rachel had done with me although I think it is going to take
a while to grow the length.
The severe frost nearly took my breath away on Wednesday
morning and it was such a shame because I was driving down to Suffolk to see
step dads partner Marie. While step dad
has been sunning himself in La Manga, Marie has been project managing a kitchen
refurbishment in their park home. I
wanted to see the new kitchen and I also wanted to give Marie her Christmas
pressie. I asked Sue if she wanted to come with me as I
knew Kay was back from La Manga. Sue
made time in her busy schedule and I got to her house in Newport just before
9am. I don’t know whether it was because
of the frost, but the M1 was static southbound and Newport was clogged up. We decided to have a quick cuppa to let the
rush hour die down before setting off. I
decided to go through Cranfield on the back roads so as to avoid the M1. I am not sure this was the wisest move
because I had to take it slow but at least we weren’t held up and got on the
dual carriage way at Moulsoe.
It was a pretty drive to Suffolk as it was so cold the ice
hadn’t melted, very picturesque. The A428 was fine and we got to Marie’s house
just after half eleven. I think Marie is
pretty knackered after all the upheaval but the new kitchen is looking
great. The space looks twice as big and
the revamp has opened up the lounge. I
especially liked her black one and a half bowl sink and mixer tap. If it were me though I would have probably
sorted out the ceiling, walls and flooring before fitting new units but I am
sure Marie will have these sorted soon.
I think step dad will have a nice surprise when he gets back from Spain
in March.
The original plan was that we would meet Kay at the pub for
lunch but Marie was expecting an electrician so she had to stay in. She made a buffet lunch with hot sausage
rolls, sandwiches and mince pies which we had when Kay turned up. Kay flew back from La Manga on Saturday
evening so she could go to her son’s nativity play. She was also back to take him on a day trip
to Lapland. It was nice to catch up with
her and especially for Sue to hear all the La Manga gossip. I wasn’t too sure what time we would leave
but I was worried about driving the entire journey back in the dark and I knew
it would be busy at the turn off for Cambridge.
I guess it was about half three by the time we said our goodbyes.
The road was busy and it took 2 and half hours to get
home. Unsure what time we’d get back on
Wednesday evening we hadn’t made any firm plans for supper. In the end we went and got a Chinese
takeaway. Once back at Sue’s, the music
was put on, the wine was opened and it was the usual Wednesday night drunken debauchery. I got a taxi back and was really glad I didn’t
have to get up at half past six on Thursday morning like Sue did. Rather her than me I thought and actually I
had a lie in. I didn’t feel like the gym
but instead I persuaded Phil to come with me to the new Primark. What a mistake this turned out to be as the
whole of Milton Keynes had the same idea.
We parked at the Doubletree car-park and walked across. Phil went upstairs to look at the men’s
clothing and I picked up a few things on the ground floor. However when I saw the length of the queue at
the tills, I put it all back.
Lunch on Thursday was at the carvery at Shenley Church
End. Normally we really enjoy the roast
dinner here but it wasn’t up to scratch.
Undercooked vegetables and hard potatoes. Never mind at least it saved cooking. It was
a foul day on Friday and when I opened up to the blinds to see the rain I
decided against going to the gym. I did
however pop up to the city centre to get some toiletries from Superdrug and a
couple of bits from John Lewis. When I
got back to the flat, I had a shower and got ready and we drove to Newport to
pick up Sue and Brian.
I saw a Groupon voucher for a 2 course meal for £24.99 at
Cameron’s Brasserie in Stony Stratford.
Sue saw it to so we both brought a voucher and arranged a lunch date for
last Friday. The attraction for Cameron’s,
aside from the price, was the fact that the chef was one of the finalists from
Masterchef. We all opted for a starter
followed by a main. Phil & Brian had
the terrain of pheasant and Sue & I went for the soup.
The restaurant itself didn‘t have very much ambience; Sue
said it felt like a barn conversion but to me it had the feel of a garden
centre café. We were sat by the back
door and experienced a cold draught every time a guest came in. The worst was that it was so noisy that we
couldn’t hear each other talk. The wine
was expensive but this is not uncommon and I did think that perhaps we wouldn’t
have ordered a second bottle of Chilean Merlot if we didn’t have to wait an
hour for the main course to be served.
Sue chose the fish, I had the turkey and Phil & Brian both had
spider steak. The boy’s food was good,
nicely presented and tasty by all accounts.
My turkey which was served inside what looked like a roast potato was
dry and Sue didn’t eat much of her main.
We had a nice time but I don’t think any of us will be rushing back. After Cameron’s we went back to Sue’s for
mince pies.
I went to the gym on Saturday for a quickie and when I got
back we drove over to Overstone to collect the post. The plan was to stop off at The Maltings in
Stoke Goldington on the way back but it didn’t look like it had opened yet so
instead we ended up at The Four Pears in Little Houghton www.thefourpears.com It was a pricey, pretentious
pub, a little up its own arse and the service was very slow. Phil’s first choice of main wasn’t
available and my fish didn’t taste right.
On the way home we saw that The Maltings was open so could have we
kicked ourselves for not checking first.
Saturday afternoon turned out to be a duvet one, on the sofa watching
films.
All in all, our weekend was a gentle one. On Sunday I went
to the gym leaving Phil working on GAD paperwork and when I got back I cooked
roast pork for lunch. After the winter wonderland weather on
Wednesday it was nice to see some warmer temperatures over the weekend. We didn’t expect to see Joe the carpenter on
Friday mainly due to the rain but he phoned on Saturday to see he hadn’t
received the wood yet. But he is hoping
to start work on the steps today. After
a quiet week and an even quieter weekend, I don’t think the steps are going to
be straight forward. I rather think it’s
the calm before the storm but I don’t really mind, variety is the spice of life
and perhaps I shall have something to blog about.
Lovely to go out with you and Phil - two of my favourite people in the world! But why, oh why do you always use photos of me looking like the demented village idiot??????? Love Sue X X X X
ReplyDeleteDon't be too harsh on yourself girlfriend! I agree 'Sue on the Sofa' is probably not your best look, but after all your heartache over the last 2 years, it gives me (n Phil) great pleasure to see you with a big grin on your face X X X X
ReplyDelete