3 Dec 2012

Christmas Countdown



The end of the month took me by surprise and Phil’s monthly didn’t give me a chance to blog about my week.  Not that there is much of great importance to report but I figure, better late than never.  Once again last week I forgot to take out my camera so apologies for the lack of visuals and my explanation for having to improvise.

On Monday morning I went to Sue’s for tea, toast and a catch up in general.  There is so much happening in her world that it’s difficult to keep up.  After Sue’s, I went to Curry’s in CMK to get me a new mobile phone.  My old Nokia finally gave up on me not helped by accidentally soaking the battery in vinegar.  Don’t ask!  My phone has playing up for months and I really don’t know why I have taken so long to get it sorted.  In the end, getting a replacement was easy and cheap.  I got another Nokia for only £7.13. I got it home, charged the battery up and popped in my old sim card which then gave all my contacts. 



I had to wait in on Monday afternoon for eTyres to come out and fit 2 new tyres.  The Chevrolet garage in Northampton gave my car a free safety check which revealed that my 2 front tyres were knackered.  I couldn’t believe it because it’s less than 12 months since I had them replaced.  Normally I get tyres fitted at Kwik Fit at Kingston mainly because they supply free coffee and biscuits while you wait and also they have a good selection of daily newspapers. Plus its warm and the toilets are nice.  However, I decided to do a bit of tyre price comparison and found that eTyres were the cheapest.  It shows that you need to shop around.  I paid £124 last year for 2 tyres and this year I only paid £87.  I do like a bargain.

Tuesday was an easy day; Phil went to Overstone to pick up the post and I went to the gym.  My friend Jane picked me up at quarter to one and we went to Robinsons in Newport for lunch.  The restaurant was busy and I was glad I had booked a table.  I haven’t been to Robinsons (the restaurant) for yonks.   Jane and I went for the 2 course special and actually choose the same 2 dishes, fish cakes to start followed by corn fed chicken on a bed of spinach and mash.  I made the stupid mistake of eating all of my 3 fish cakes which were divine and also a brown roll which made me too full to eat my main course. I do the same every time and could kick myself afterwards.  I barely touched my chicken but never mind it gave me a chance to get up to date with Jane and all of her news.  I only see Jane about 2 or 3 times a year so when we do link up there is just so much to say and last Tuesday was no exception. 

On Wednesday I went to the gym and Phil drove down to the probate office.  I did offer to go with him them I remembered I had an appointment at Specsavers to collect my new glasses.  My glasses were fine, my prescription hadn’t changed that much but I could tell the difference with the new lenses. Phil said my new glasses look just the same as my last glasses and that is probably true because I always choose the cheapest frames.  I figure as I only need spectacles for reading why waste money on fancy frames??

Jan invited me to her house for supper on Wednesday evening and very kindly picked me up from the flat when she dropped Steve off.  Sue was invited for supper as well but she had to cancel as she had a family crisis.  This was a shame as Jan and done a huge lasagne but we still had a nice girlie catch up evening with food and wine.  Unfortunately I conked out on Jan’s sofa and didn’t get back in the taxi until 1am waking up Phil in the process.  Good job Steve was working from home on Thursday and that Jan was going into work late.

I can’t for the life of me remember what I did on Thursday but I don’t recall doing very much.  Friday was a more productive day, gym, food shopping, domestics and paperwork.  On Friday evening we met up with Harriet and Billy and Jim, Shirley & Dan.  It’s true the Giffard has gone downhill slightly but we have a soft spot for this pub and will continue to frequent.  We all had something to eat on Friday evening, the food was okay and we had a good night.  The company is what counts. It’s nice to see Phil enjoying himself as he has been a bit depressed recently which is not like the normal Phil. Harriet and Billy walked with us to the flat and called a taxi back to Caldecotte.  I think it was 1am by the time we got to bed.

Needless to say that I didn’t get to the gym on Saturday.  No, instead we had an easy morning and packed for an overnight stay at the caravan.   Phil needed to pick up the post and we thought we may as well give the caravan a bit of an airing and just check that everything was okay.  The lady at The Manor told Phil that Cogenhoe and Billing had both been evacuated due to the floods but Overstone Lakes was okay.  Our park doesn’t have any history of flooding which is just as well because this wasn’t something we had even considered when we brought our first caravan.

The caravan was absolutely freezing when we unlocked the door and turned the alarm off.  I unpacked our overnight case and Phil put on all of the heaters.  Both the caravans were okay, cold but no outside damage from the high winds a couple of weeks ago.  We went to The Manor for a 2 for £10 meal deal which was okay.  After lunch we did briefly consider a walk in our wellies around the lakes but jaded from the night before, instead we whacked the gas fire on full and settled on the sofas to watch a film.  I think Phil wanted to go down to the clubhouse in the evening but there was no way I could hack 2 nights out on the trot plus it was a freezing cold night. I think it was down to minus 5.  We must have been crazy to pick the coldest night of the year to stay in the van but crazy is what we are.  Actually, once you warm up the fabric of the caravan, its fine.  We had the good sense to get the heated blanket from the caravan next door and switched it for 2 or 3 hours before we went to bed.  It made all the difference.  Both Phil & I slept like logs not waking up until 8am. 

We were driving down to Melton Mowbray to see Phil’s mum and dad on Sunday morning and I really wanted to be on the road by 9am but by the time Phil had had a shower, we’d packed up the car and shut everything down it was gone quarter to ten.   The Land Rover was thick with ice and it took ages to defrost. Everything was white outside and it looked so pretty, I wished I’d have been awake enough to capture it on camera.  It was almost 11am by the time we got to Melton; Phil’s mum already had the roast dinner in the oven and it smelled delicious. 

Aside from seeing mum and dad we had gone down to do some jobs around the house.  Phil had made up some boxing to cover the pipe work in their bathroom which is very ugly.  He’d worked out the size but unfortunately it was too big so he had saw some off to make it fit.  Phil had brought some casing to cover the pipes but the bit he brought, although it was the right size, the fittings were too big for the pipes. Its back to the drawing board on this one but hopefully Phil will be able to find the right size fittings so we can get all their pipes covered.

We had roast lamb for lunch which was lovely; obviously Phil’s mum had gone to a lot of trouble.  As she always does for us but I do worry that it’s all too much for her these days.  Indeed she was in a lot of pain on Sunday and it showed.  Every step she took was a struggle.  After lunch we sat and did the crossword whilst watching the snooker.  As with every time we visit, Phil had to show his mum how to record tv programmes and how to re watch.  Some things never changed and it’s not a biggie. We left Melton just after 3 and got back home at half four.  We unloaded the car and whacked up the central heating.


Now that we are at the beginning of December I can no longer ignore that the fact that Christmas is just around the corner. I hate the festive season with a passion and long for the days when we can fly off and ignore the whole thing.  But it won’t be happening this year.  I feel obliged to spend Xmas day with mum and dad, conscious that they are not going to be around forever but at the same time I have an obligation to Harriet who will be on her own if we go to Melton.  Of course she could come with us but she doesn’t fancy this option. As a compromise, I have said that we will do Christmas Day just the 3 of us at the flat and will do Boxing Day with mum and dad.  My sisters along with brother-in-law, nephew and girlfriend are coming to Milton Keynes in-between Christmas and New Year so we will meet up with them for a meal in the evening.  Other than a night out with Susie Sue on the 21 of December that is about all we have planned.   Yesterday we brought back my twig effect Christmas tree from the caravan and I found a snug place for it to stand in the flat and dressed it with a few baubles.   But other than that, this is as festive as its gonna get in our little flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment