After not blogging in well over a week it’s hard to know
where to start but last weekend is probably as good as ever. Phil went over early to Melton Mowbray to
pick up his mum and bring her back to the caravan. Originally both his dad and mum were going to
come and stay at the caravan but George didn’t want to go to the funeral and
figured he may as well stay at home in their bungalow but he was happy for mum
to go away for a few days. Whilst Phil
was in Melton I put a joint of beef in the oven and lunch was more or less
ready to serve when they got back to Overstone just before 1pm. Despite my spending lots of love and care on
my roast, the beef was as tough as old boots and the vegetables were very
overcooked.
On Sunday afternoon we set ourselves up in the caravan next
door and went through the photographs that we had taken from Daphne's
bungalow. It brought back many memories
for Phil and his mum and by the end of the afternoon we had managed to find
enough pictures to fill up 2 memory boards.
Phil practised his funeral speech in front of me and his mum and I don't
know whether it was the emotion of sifting through the photographs, but for the
first time since Daphne died, Phil cried.
We had a quiet evening in our caravan and I felt quite sad locking
Phil's mum in the van next door at bedtime because I knew she wouldn't
sleep. If I had of given it some thought
I probably should have set up the sofa bed in our caravan. The trouble with me is that I don't think at
the best of times and my head is all over the place at the moment.
It was a truly miserable day on Monday and the rain showed
no sign of letting up. We had breakfast,
packed the car and were on the road to Lowestoft just before 10am. Phil took the land rover so he could use the
sat nav. We stopped once on the way for
a wee and a cup of tea and landed at The Premier Inn at Lowestoft around at
half one. Check in wasn't until 2pm but
I managed to get us our room keys and even managed to get Phil's mum a disabled
room. She was pleased because she had a
king size bed and a walk in shower.
Bags unpacked, we then went to Daphne's bungalow where we had
hoped to meet up with Jim. It doesn't
feel very nice being in the bungalow and with Jim & Ray going through all
her cupboards and drawers, the place
looks like it has been burgled. I could
tell it was upsetting Phil's mum so after putting a call into Jim on
his mobile and it going straight through to answer phone, we decided to go back
to the Premier Inn. We hung around for a
couple of hours and then went to the restaurant for dinner. The meal was okay but to be honest, I don't
think any of us were very hungry.
We were pleased to see that it wasn't raining on Tuesday
morning even though rain was forecast.
It was chilly but then it always is on the east coast. We had breakfast and then went to get changed
to our funeral clothes. I had asked my
step dad and Marie to come along to the service for some moral support and they turned up
at the hotel just after 10am. It was of
good of them to come as Ipswich is a good hours drive from Lowestoft. They had spent time with Daphne when we all
went for a turkey and tinsel break at
the Warner hotel in Lowestoft a few years ago. We had coffee and brought them up-to-date
with the FA situation. I don't think
they could quite believe it but their mere presence did calm our nerves a
little bit. Phil went to practice his
speech one more time and then we went in the restaurant to set up a room for
the wake. There wasn't really much to do,
just hang up the boards and put out the cards and supervise the layout of the
table and chairs.
My step dad dropped me, mum and Phil at Daphne's house where
we met up with Mandy, Daphne's cleaner, Emma her niece and Daphne's carer and
Brian the gardener. I'd received a call
on my mobile from Jim earlier in the morning who hinted that there may not be room
in the funeral car for Phil or his mum and I can tell you, I nearly got very
angry. But the car took six so there was
room enough for all of us. The service
was at the crematorium in Gorleston and it was a tense 30 minute drive. We were determined that in-spite of the FA
legal crap going on, we wanted Daphne to have a nice send off. As we walked in, I was delighted to see that
there were about 20 of her friends. My
stomach churned in knots when I spotted the FA.
I couldn't believe it! How could
the bastard dare show his face, wasn't it enough that he has conned Daphne out of her entire estate with
out pretending to morn her death??
The reverend gave a nice welcome and then Phil was the first
to speak. He had written a lovely speech
about Daphne and I was very proud of him because public speaking in so not his
thing. There was a microphone but he
didn't seem to notice this. Jim did his
speech and read a poem and then after a couple of prayers, the curtains
closed. It was a simple but sweet
service and I think if there is any afterlife I think Daphne would have been
pleased. There was a little room outside
where everyone congregated, we had wanted to speak to everyone to thank them
for coming but Phil's mum broke down sobbing and the FA was lingering on the
other side of the room. It was a little
awkward and after thanking the reverend we thought it best to go back in the
car.
We had ordered a cold finger buffet for 20 people and the
food when it came out was good and plentiful.
Everyone liked the memory boards and it was nice to be able to speak to
Daphne's friends. Daphne used to work
for the Treasury and the civil service had sent down 3 representatives from
London. We were pleased to meet 3 other
people that had worked with Daphne and had remained in touch. It was all going well until Jim spoke to Phil
and told him that the FA was in the main bar and would like to talk to both
Phil & Jim after he finished his steak.
I couldn't believe his disrespect for Daphne and his audacity to come to
the wake. I really didn't want Phil to
talk to him but Phil felt he had no choice.
The FA was very mad, Phil said he was so mad he was almost
spitting. He told Phil to get a pad and
demanded that he write down everything that he was going to say. I guess the meeting took 20 minutes and
basically what he told Phil was just a pack of lies. He said that he was working for Daphne as a
personal friend and not as a FA and that his wife as very close to Daphne. He said that Daphne changed her will because
she didn't like me and didn't want me to benefit from her money. Apparently, she also said that Phil
constantly talked about dying and with his weight and blood pressure she
worried that he would drop dead at any minute.
He also said that Daphne didn't want to leave her money to Phil's mum
because she was old and when she died, she would only leave her money to Phil. The FA also said that he didn't want me or
Phil in Daphne's house and that he personally was going to sue our solicitor
and also a lawyer that we had been emailing.
There were a few other things to do with original trust funds but
everything that came out of his mouth was a pack of lies. Phil said much later that he felt that the FA
was goading him so that Phil would punch him and Phil said that it took all of
his self control not to say anything and walk away. Thankfully Phil wouldn't tell me what was
said when he came back because if he had of done, I knpw that I would not have been able to
control myself.
A few phone conversations and emails over the weekend made
us suspect that Jim had been working with the FA and very sadly , on Tuesday
afternoon, our suspicions were confirmed.
This is Jim, joint executor of Daphne's will and a friend for the last 5
years. Phil immediately knew this after
the meeting because the FA named the online lawyer that only Jim knew
about. It is apparent that Jim has been
forwarding our emails and revealing our movements and conversations. I think this has upset me (and Phil) more
than anything. Obviously the FA has
promised Jim a big chunk of the money in return for his help and support. How easily people can be brought. It makes me sick to the depths of my soul.
Everyone said how lovely the funeral was and after saying
goodbyes, the Krause family were able to walk away with dignity in the
knowledge that Daphne had had a fittng goodbye.
The whole day greatly upset Phil's mum and she was very keen to get back
to the caravan. We had a reasonable run
and got back in 3 hours. I think we were
all in shell shock and emotionally drained after the day. Phil told me and his mum some of the
conversation that took place with the FA but not all of it. It wasn't until the next day when I got up
early and saw the notes on the printer that Phil had typed up that I realised
that the whole basis for the change of trustee, was the fact that Daphne didn't
like me.
For a start I had to reread and question my relationship
with Daphne. I knew that I wasn't
Daphne's number 1, that was Phil, but Phil and his mum had to work hard at
reassuring me that this wasn't the case, just a lame excuse for the FA to
explain himself. Now I know that to be
true because Daphne phoned me 2 weeks before she went into hospital to ask me
to check that I had changed my will to my married name. I did check and I had, so she was
pleased. Not a nice feeling though
thinking that she didn't like me especially as she is not here to ask.
On Wednesday morning Phil took his mum back to Melton
Mowbray. I think she was glad to get
home and back to George. She admitted
that she had missed him which is not a surprise nwhen you think they have been
married for 61 years. I took myself off
to MK with my first stop off being Sue's for a cup of tea and a much needed
catchup. Poor girl, she was ill with a
virus. A runny nose, a hacking cough and
a headache, not to mention a head full of cotton wool. I made a quick trip to the gym and popped in
ASDA but in the afternoon I had to get over to our Cranfield flat. I had 2 appointments, one with the loft
insulation surveyor and one with Adam from Prestige.
We were thinking of putting the CF up for sale but in the
current climate we have decided to rent.
The surveyor said he would be there between 2 and 4pm; I got there at
half one and as I had taken my cleaning materials, I got bleaching and
scrubbing while I was waiting. Of
course, mad Betty was at the window as soon as I got through the door. I really
wasn’t in the mood for her mindless chat but its been a while since I have
seen her so I guess I owed her. The
tenant had done quite a reasonable job of cleaning but it wasn't up to my
standards. Actually I was glad to do
something physical to take my mind off the FA.
Sods law the surveyor didn't turn up until 4pm and Adam turned up 5
minutes after. We do qualify for free loft
insulation and I made an appointment for it to be done.
I always have a lot to say to Adam and vice versa. Phil had already told him about the FA and he
asked me how the funeral went. I bet he wished he'd never asked because an hour
later and he was still standing in the kitchen.
I gave him the instruction to let and he took some photographs of the
flat before leaving. I met Phil back at
Sue's. Phil went out with the Wednesday
boys (minus Jim) as usual and Sue cooked me supper.
I really don't think she was well enough for company, let alone for
cooking but she insisted. I think if I
hadn't been there it would have been a hot water bottle and early to bed. We had lamb chops and mint sauce which hit
the spot along with the red wine.
On Thursday morning Phil & I went in seperate cars over
to Harriets' flat to get some wood from her attic. Phil needs this to build a ramp for the
caravan next door. From there, he went
home to Northampton and I went to the gym.
I am not really into fitness at the moment, I don't know why. I don't have to worry about my weight because
I am not really eating unless someone cooks for me. I am survivng on cups of tea and red
wine. Not healthy and I need to do
something about this. I did order fish
and chips at the Ship Ashore where I met
up with Harriet but I wasn't hungry and it wasn't very nice so I left most of
it. In the afternoon it was back to
Sue's and then to MK General for her appointment with the Cardiologist. We were both nervous because we were
expecting her results to be back and to be given a firm diagnosis regarding her
heart. But frustratingly because of the
long bank holiday, the results weren't back.
The doctor said that he would chase them
up and also he would discuss her case with the team at Oxford. Hopefully, at her next appointment next
week, surgery can be discussed and dates
agreed. Fingers crossed.
Thursday night it was back to Overstone; Phil had had a busy admin afternoon and I
think he was pleased to see me when I walked through the door. We had briefly
spoken during the day but not much because we are both not answering our mobile
phones. The reason for this, is that we
are being chased by Jim for the original will.
The FA needs this to complete probate. He is
anxious to file probate so he can get his hands on Daphne's money. Jim sent Phil a rather nasty email asking
for the will and also telling him he was being very disrespectful. What???
He also left messages on Phil's phone and yesterday he left a very
creepy message on my phone asking me to ask Phil to send him the will. He also said that even after this 'funny
business' he hoped that we could still
enjoy our conversations. What is this
guy on? Does he think that after
everything, that I would not support my own husband? I don't care if I never see or speak to him
again. He was certainly no friend of
Daphne's and he is no friend of mine.
You can guess what Phil & I talked about for most of
last night. We have both realised that
because of the emails and all the telephone calls, the original will is
important to Jim and the FA.
Unfortunately both of them know where we live. The FA has actually been to our
caravan. I am not sure if we are being
paranoid or not, but before we went to bed last night Phil put on the alarm and
we went to bed tooled up. The important documents relating to Daphne's estate
have been copied and the original will has been moved to a safe place. Phil
won't tell me where the will is because he says this way I won't be able to
tell a hit men if I am being tortured!!!
I am pleased to report that we didn't get any unwanted visitors in the
night but I can tell you that Phil was awake at 2.30am. He hardly got any sleep because he was
thinking about everything. I was up at
4am and didn't really sleep much after that because I had to be up by 6am and
had forgotten to set the alarm.
All of this worry and a lack of sleep is taking its toll. I
keep telling myself to get a perspective but its not working. I do though, need to get a persepctive. It's not an earthquake or a crazed gunman or
nuclear meltdow, is it? On the scale of
disasters, this is not huge, its only money.
Easier said than done though.
This morning I left the caravan just after 7am and drove to the CF. The loft insulation was being done anytime
between 8am and 4pm and the company wouldn't call an hour before hand. I have cleaned the windows inside and out and
have taken the waiting time to write this post.
Phil went over to MK this morning to pick up Sue and they were going over
to do a few bits at her dads bungalow. I think that all went well so that is great. I apologise for banging on but I do feel better for getting it
all off my chest. I am sorry that I have
had to make my blog private but Jim knew about its existance although I am not
sure he follows me. But I feel I have to
ere on the verge of caution. Also I
didn't want have to curtail or leave out things, this way I can say what the
hell I like. Hopefully, we will be doing
other things aside from banging out letters to lawyers but I do warn you now, I
feel this battle is going to go on for ages.
Great blog Claire, but not sure if anyone can read it?
ReplyDeleteWhat a pair of arseholes! Hope you're both OK. Vxxx
ReplyDeleteObviously I mean FA and Jim, not you two :)
ReplyDeleteI don't know what to say to all that, except take care of yourself and try not to get too stressed by it all. Big hugs and lots of love, Anne & Jim xxx
ReplyDeleteTo the Ford Family; I agree what a pair of arseholes and yes I know that you were not referring to me and Phil. Bless ya xxx
ReplyDeleteTo Anne and Jim; its difficult to know what to say but we are aware that we have been very nieve and far too trusting. We thought the FA was a bit sleezy and were wary and should have acted before now. What can I say? I am tri8ng to keep a perspective but Phil can't think about anything else. He can't sleep and it is affecting his logical thinking. We will get through this together and although the outcome might not be to GAD's wishes, at least we have to have a go at fighting the battle. There are far worse things and we have to remember that. Love Claire xxx
this is awful and what is happening to you guys is upsetting me :( x
ReplyDelete