This week has been a bit up and down; more down then up I’m
afraid. Steve left at midday’ish on
Tuesday and drove back to Loughborough.
I don’t think that either me or Phil were very good company but
hopefully when things settle down a bit, Phil can go and stay with Steve and
they can have a proper boys night out.
When Steve left, I changed all the bedding and towels next door and gave
the van a good clean. Not that it was
that dirty mind you, but it does need a going over once a week and now it is
ready for when our next guests come to stay.
Tuesday night was a quiet one.
I was up bright and early and on the road by half seven on
Wednesday morning. Of course my
destination was MK; I wanted to get an early start not just to avoid the
traffic but I had a couple of things that I needed to do. First stop was Sue’s for a cup of tea and
chat. I hadn’t realised but she was
feeling so rough the day before due to her chest infection that she’d spent the
whole morning in bed which is not like Sue.
Thankfully Sue said she was feeling a little better although she didn’t
really sound it. After my tea, I went
to DW for a workout. I had a good run
for the first time in what feels like ages.
I grabbed a chicken sandwich for lunch and then went back to Newport to
pick up Sue. We then drove to her dad’s
bungalow to coat the inside of the oven with Oven Pride. This didn’t take too long and it was back to
Newport for another cuppa and then I went to Zig Zag to get my hair done. I’d been wanting to get it done for ages so
half head highlights and a cut and finish was long overdue. It was us a shame that I picked a really
sunny afternoon, too hot really to be sitting in a salon for hours on end but
then again timing never was my forte.
Still the end result was worth it and I was glad I hadn’t cancelled my
appointment.
When I got back to Sue’s Phil was already there. He stayed at Overstone to put up the ramp
next door. Dennis, our neighbour helped
and between the two of them they’d made a really good job. The ramp needs to be power washed and stained
and then its job done. On Wednesday
evening Jan & Steve picked me, Sue & Phil up, we dropped the boys off
at the Ship Ashore and then Jan drove us to her house for supper. This was very kind of her seeing as she’s
really busy at work and has a load of other crap going on in her life. Jan had cooked a whole salmon and it was
delicious. It was ages since we’d all
got together so it was really nice to catch up.
We promised that we wouldn’t hammer it with the wine because Jan had to
be at work the next day and Sue & I had hospital appointments but this didn’t
pan out and I had a hangover the next day.
I had planned to go to the gym on Thursday morning but this
didn’t happen. I messed around at Sue’s
and managed to clean off the dollop from the oven racks in-between the rain
showers. Phil went back to Overstone and
when we were showered and dressed, Sue and I went over to her dad’s bungalow to
clean the oven and put the racks back in.
We thought we’d have time to go back to Newport for a cup of tea before
going to the hospital but there wasn’t time.
Instead we headed to MKG and grabbed a take away tea from the café before
Sue’s one o’clock appointment with the endocrinologist.
I forget his name but he was very nice. Just as well really because he had Sue’s
results and confirmed that it was 100% certain that Sue did indeed have
carcinoid. The confirmation didn’t
really surprise Sue as she’d done her research on the internet beforehand and
her own symptoms matched up. I think I
was more shocked than she was. The
consultant told Sue that her type of carcinoid is very rare, so rare that her
case is being discussed at a doctor’s conference in Houston next week. Sue was told that mostly all carcinoid is
malignant but the next step for her, is a special scan at Oxford where she will
be injected with a dye which will allow the doctors to tell just exactly what
is going on with her body. Naturally
there were some tears but at this stage, without the results of the special
scan, everything is still uncertain. We
had a good to wait until her next appointment with the cardiologist so we
decided to get off the hospital grounds and went to KFC for a cuppa and some chicken. After lunch we had to wait a while in
cardiology to be seen but when we saw the consultant he pretty much said the
same as the endocrinologist. As we left, Sue told Atilla that she'd see him in Houston but he didn't get the joke.
Because of the rareness and seriousness of Sue’s carcinoid
all of her treatment will be done at the Churchill hospital in Oxford. This is a pain because of the journey but at
least Sue will have the best specialists and surgeons treating her. It sounds bizarre now but on the way home,
Sue & I couldn’t help laughing about the fact that she is about to become
famous in the medical world. A star,
almost a celebrity and not just in this country. I said to her you couldn’t be normal and just
be ill with a regular tumour, no you have to have a very rare speciality. Luckily we share a similar sense of humour
and at the end of the day if you can’t laugh, well……. On a more positive note, we know that Sue won’t
be having any surgery until she has had more tests and scans so at least we can
plan to do some fun stuff knowing that it’s going to be least a month before
she’s admitted.
I left Sue’s at teatime with a promise from her that she
wouldn’t spend all evening surfing all things medical on the internet and went
back to Overstone to find a very depressed Phil. He has received another batch of correspondence
from the solicitor with copies of defensive letters from the FA. He has also been receiving more nasty emails
from Jim. We don’t seem to be getting
anywhere with this case. To us, it seems
like a straight forward case of an old lady being conned but this FA seemed to
have every corner covered. The worst
thing is that both Phil & I plus his mum are being portrayed as the bad
guys in all of this. I can’t say that
after yesterday I feel on top of the world today but I think I need to stay
positive for everyone’s sake.

No comments:
Post a Comment