28 May 2012

A mixture of sunshine and sadness


On Friday Phil and I went our separate ways; I left early to drive over to MK and left Phil at home to wait on Steve turning up.  Steve is off to Thailand and Phil had offered for him to leave his car at Overstone and drive him to Heathrow.  Sue had an appointment with the anaesthetist at MK General and I’d offered to go with her as I was scheduled to be in MK anyway.   Although Sue’s surgery has been postponed for the moment, it was thought that it best that she keep this appointment with Dr Chambers because she will definitely be having surgery at some point.  He was a nice chap and took time explaining things although we did still come away with one or two questions unanswered.

After the hospital we hopped over to carry out an inspection at Sue’s dad’s bungalow.  The decorator had been in and Sue wanted to check on progress.  It all looked very different since I last saw it; all the furniture has been cleared and there was one coat of magnolia on all the walls.  Sue was pleased with the work that had been carried out and I think it will be money well spent when it’s all finished.  Our next stop was a visit to the TMA flat; I wanted to check to see if the ex con had cut the grass and pay him if he had stuck to his word.  Forever the pessimist, I was really surprised to see the grass both front and back had been cut and actually he’d made a really good job.  The timing was perfect because we had a viewing that evening.  I knocked on number 25 and paid Ian the money we agreed with a £5 bonus which he seemed happy with. 

We just had time for a cup of tea back at Sue’s house and then it was off to do food shopping at Tesco at Kingston.  With the sun shining and also with it being the end of the month I knew it would be busy and it was.  But it had to be done and better I thought to shop on Friday rather than leave it to Saturday.  I put my cold stuff in Sue’s fridge and then we went to the Fayre & Square pub at Willen Lake.  It was busy and there were no tables outside but that didn’t bother me as it was quite windy and also I would have been a pain in the a***e if the wasps were out and about.  Sue treated me to a glass of red and steak and chips; she had the steak too, it was okay, steak was a little on the tough side and the service was a little slow.  But beautiful views of the lake which reminded me of just how lovely Milton Keynes is. 

I knew it was going to be hot in the van when I got home but boy oh boy it was like a sauna.  I had forgotten to switch the little heater off in the lounge when I left and Phil had failed to notice that it was still switched on when he left.  First job was to open all doors and windows before unpacking the shopping.  I was home alone until Phil got back at 6.30pm.  I knew the traffic would be busy with it being a Friday but I guess I was expecting him back around 5ish.  He was not a happy chappy when he returned; in fact he didn’t come into the van.  Instead he said that he needed a pint and was going to the club house.  I didn’t blame him but I didn’t want to go with.  I have decided that the bar part of the club house is for blokes only and is not a place that I wish to frequent.  Phil still went by himself but obviously not a lot of action on this particular night so he was back home by 8pm.  It was still so hot in the van so we sat outside next door under our new gazebo which was very pleasant and very civilised for us two.


Saturday started off good; I was up and ready for action. I went to Weston Favell for petrol, French bread and got some bits and pieces from Lidl’s for Phil’s mum.  I got the table laid in readiness for Harriet and her friend Jenny who were going round for a BBQ.  All was going well until we got the phone call from Ray telling Phil that his aunt had died that morning.  It wasn’t a total surprise because we had been told that Daphne had deteriorated and wasn’t going to survive but I thought she had weeks rather than days.  To be honest the news came as a shock especially because w’d had such a good visit with her last Tuesday.  It was Daphne’s heart that failed in the end but at least she wasn’t alone.  We believe she was hanging on to see her good friend Jim.  He went straight from the airport bless him and was there when she finally passed.  He said she was laughing and joking and was totally lucid.  The doctors sedated her in the final stages so that she wasn’t distressed when her heart stopped.  It is sad but Daphne was 88 and at least now she is out of pain and hopefully has been reunited with Les and her 2 dogs.
 
Somehow it didn’t seem right to light the BBQ and crack open the beer but we had no choice really because just after the phone call Harriet turned up with Jenny.  The girls had a beer and then I drove them down to the pool, first stopping off at reception to get a day pass for Jenny.  As anticipated, the pool was quite busy but the girls managed to find a table.  There were lots of families having picnics and Harriet said the pool was quite warm.  I didn’t feel like a swim so I left them there for a couple of hours.  Phil cooked beef burgers, sausages and chicken on the BBQ and we had corn on the cobs with new potatoes and salad.  Dessert was strawberries and ice-cream.   After lunch Harriet and Jenny sunbathed on the patio; I did ask them whether they wanted to be taken back to the pool but I think they were full up and with the heat it was just too much effort.

On Sunday we had a quiet day spent at home.  The only time I went out was to fetch the Sunday papers from the local shop.  I went out to sunbathe but it was just too hot and I think I only managed about an hour.  I did think about going to the gym or walking down to the clubhouse for a swim but it was all too much effort yesterday.  Instead I watched the Monaco Grand Prix with Phil.  Lunch was leftovers and all in all it was a very lazy day.


But its all systems go this morning and perhaps a payback for doing nothing yesterday.  I am off to MK for loft insulation and a few other jobs and Phil is off to Lowestoft and is meeting Jim at Daphne’s bungalow.  Yesterday morning Phil dug out Daphne’s will and other legal papers that she has sent him over the years.  Daphne had a habit of making changes to her will on a regular basis (as is her perrogative) so we have no idea if our copy is the latest.  I very much doubt that it is but as Phil is an executor of her will along with Jim, it is down to them to arrange the funeral and carry out her last wishes.  Phil doesn’t have any previous experience of arranging a funeral but I know that Jim has had to do it for his parents.  Not that I expect Jim to make all the arrangements, certainly not; Its time for Phil to step up to the mark on behalf of the family and do his very best to give Daphne a fitting send off. I am sure he will do his best. Somehow I don’t think its going to be a fun couple of weeks.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about Daphne x
    We are off to Turkey on Monday for 2 weeks, looking forward to two lazy weeks in the sun.
    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emma; sad but then she was 88.
    I hope you have a fantastic holiday, didn't realise you were off 2 whole weeks. Simply must catch up with when you get home.
    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear your sad news Claire - big hugs to you both xxxx

    ReplyDelete