We have done so many timeshare presentations over the years
that we pretty much knew what to expect.
Our meeting on Tuesday started in the usual way with us being introduced
to Paddy and his apprentice Darren. After
handshakes all round we started in the bar with coffee and the usual get to
know you questions. Normally at this point I am very tight lipped
and try not to give anything away but yesterday I decided to play ball. After 35 minutes of small talk, Paddy walked
us to the presentation suite. This was
pretty boring and mainly involved talking us through wall mounted pictures of
infiniti hotels. After that it was up to
the main office for the hard sell.
Actually we have sat through some really hard sells and
yesterday was pretty tame. Paddy did
his best but his selling skills weren’t the best. He looked like he had a heavy night the night
before and some part of me felt sorry for him.
I certainly knew that Phil & I would not be signing up for the
timeshare option mainly because of the maintenance charges but I was interested
in the 2 year free trial package. I don’t
know whether it was the fact that I was bored because we’d been there for 2
hours by this point or whether because the sun was shining and I needed a cold
beer but I found myself saying yes. And
yes that was me and not Phil!
Well it did seem a good package; £1500 for 60,000 points for
2013 and 60,000 for 2014. They were also
throwing in £250 on a membership card and a free weeks’ holiday which could be
taken in 2012. They took our details and
we signed up and went for lunch. After
lunch we had to go back to the office and collect our contracts which we spent
all of yesterday afternoon going over. Okay that maybe a slight exaggeration
but we did spend a couple of hours. We weren’t too fussed because we knew that
we had a 14 day cooling off period where we can change our minds. Unfortunately, after reading through the
contract again this morning in bed, I think we are going to cancel. There are a couple of clauses in the contract
that we didn’t like; namely they involve extra membership fees and reservation
fees. We’d been through the points
booklet and when you factor in the extra fees the sums don’t add up. It’s not because
it’s a bad deal, it’s not and for normal people it could work. But let’s face it, Phil are I are not
normal. We are free spirits, nomads that
like to fly off at the drop of a hat plus we like bargain deals. Timeshare points and prizes are not for us and
is probably why we’ve resisted it when we’ve been offered it before. Tonight we are meeting up with Eva & Dave
who we met in Los Christianos a year or so ago.
They brought into timeshare a few years ago and it’s one of their
biggest regrets. Just goes to show, you
gotta read the small print.
Can't believe you said yes Claire - cancel cancel cancel!
ReplyDeleteWe used to have timeshare points and it was impossible to book anywhere other than Tenerife, unless you were prepared to plan ahead for a year or more.
And you still have management fees with points - they're really not worth it.
See you soon.
Anne & Jim xxx
Jason's dad (biological dad & stepmum) bought a timeshare, it too was the worst thing they ever did, in the end they handed back the keys and walked away with nothing x
ReplyDeleteHave made the appointment for the men in white coats to check you out when you get back Claire - I can't, can't believe you said yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will hate it. Get out while you can. Love Sue XXXXX
ReplyDeleteThanks for the advice but relax girlfriends, I have come to my senses and this morning we have cancelled. Well actually I have made Phil take up the form. I am too chicken!!! xxx
ReplyDelete