27 Apr 2012

Come Rain or Wine



I have woken up in a seriously bad mood this morning. You could say that I have got out of the bed the wrong side and perhaps you’re right.  I got up just before 6am, put the gas fire on and then went back to bed with my cup of tea. I switched up my crappy laptop which actually switched on reasonably quickly this morning and went to read the blog.  But there was no blog.  Phil said that he was going to his ‘end of month’ blog and post today but somehow he hasn’t gone round to it.  So I’m afraid you got me this morning and it will probably be a brief and somewhat grumpy offering. 

This week has been a funny one for all sorts of reasons and a week that has been full of rain.  On Monday it was the gym for me and some domestics before driving over to MK.  Sue cooked a 3 course meal for Anne & Jim and me and Phil.  It was nice to see A&J again although we were very sorry to hear that Anne’s mum had died the week before.  We had a good evening, lovely food and plenty of wine.   When I went downstairs on Tuesday morning I saw that the 5ltr box of Vino del Mesa was virtually empty so no wonder I had a muzzy head!  Still, no time to feel sorry for myself as that morning I was going with Sue for her appointment at the hospital.



We saw the gynaecologist, I forget his name but he was very nice.  He examined Sue and took ages looking at the images from her CT scan.  Basically he said that he suspected that she had a dermoid tumour which most likely wasn’t cancerous.  He explained that Sue would need open surgery (a full hysterectomy) which would be done by open surgery within the next 4-6 weeks.  Of course we knew that Sue would probably need surgery, and in my opinion, the sooner the better, but as with any surgery there is always a risk.   Scary stuff, but aside from the operation itself, the post op recovery is 3 months and for 6 weeks of that Sue won’t be able to drive.  It was back to Overstone in the afternoon.  We had lunch in the van and then I forced myself to work on the end of year accounts.  My hangover had cleared by this time and by teatime I was just about finished.  Just need Phil to do his bit and then we are ready to submit. 


We awoke on Wednesday morning to the rain beating down on our roof and windows.  It was truly miserable. I had planned on going to the gym but I really couldn’t face going out so I switched round and did domestics in the morning and then went to the gym in afternoon.  We were back at Sue’s on Wednesday evening as Phil was out with the Wednesday night boys.  I do wonder if she gets fed up with us bagging a bad all the while, but if she does, she doesn’t say.  Phil was yawning like crazy before he went out and actually we were all tired.  It was great on Monday evening but a late night and over indulgence, well these days it takes a couple of days to recover! I dropped Phil at the Ship Ashore and Sue & I had some cheese and biscuits, we watched a bit of telly and had a fairly early night.

I picked up an email from Jim when I got up which was a little worrying.  His message said that Phil's Aunt Daphne is going into hospital on the 10th of May for her hip operation.  We knew that the operation was on the cards but we also knew the surgeon had told Daphne that she only had a 50-50 chance of surviving the operation. This is because of other underlying health problems and also because she is 89.  Naturally she is worried about the op, as are we, but Daphne feels that she her mobility is so restricted and she is in so much pain that she has no choice other then to have the surgery.  We can only hope for the best outcome.  

The sun was actually shining on Thursday morning but this didn’t stay out long and soon the rain came.  Phil & I left Sue’s when the rush hour had finished; Phil went to B&Q and I went to the gym.  Phil viewed a house at Green Park but it wasn’t any good, overpriced and a complete wreck.  We went over to MK in 2 cars so Phil went back to Overstone at lunchtime and I went with Sue to the hospital as she had a lung function test.  Phil has an appointment at the hospital this morning to see the consultant so while I was waiting for Sue, I checked out with the reception where the McMillan unit was.   We are a little anxious about this appointment but in reality I don’t suppose the consultant will be able to tell us much. We would like him to be able to say that the radiotherapy was successful but I don’t see how he can confirm that without further testing.

Once again this morning we have awoken to grey skies and yet more rain.  Joy!  I can’t complain too much though because next Tuesday we fly out to Tenerife for 10 days.  We are back to Golf del Sur for another one of our ‘timeshare’ freebie deals and whilst it is very familiar territory and perhaps a bit of same ole, same ole, I for one, is looking forward to the break.  I need some sunshine in my life. 


2 comments:

  1. Let's hope you get loads of those lovely rays and top up your sunshine levels. Thanks for being such a great friend and coming with me to all of these appointments, it makes a difference to have someone with you with all of the hanging around. Have a fab break guys !!!!! love Sue X X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzie Sue; first up when on earth are you doing being up at 3.52am and sending me a message???? You are meant to be resting huh? It has been no trouble accompanying you my such good friend, (friend for life and all that). It's what girlfriends do and actually if I weren't around I'm sure you'd do the same for Phil. Me thinks you are going to be a difficult patient post up, OMG! But whether I will make a good carer, that's for both of us to find out!

    Remember - we are in this game together! Anyway enough of me, will see you on Monday before we catch those rays because my god, you pale girl, you some vitamin d before you go in for this op!! I will fetch some home! Love Claire ('n' Phil) X X X

    ReplyDelete