9 Apr 2012

Easter @ Overstone


The build up to Easter was a little busy.  Some of you folks will think I have an easy life with not having a 9-5 routine, but you know what, however early I rise, there never seems to be enough hours in the day.  On Wednesday, I was up before 6am and on the road to Milton Keynes before half seven.  I had to be early as my car was booked into Days garage at Blakelands.  It hasn’t been right since we got back from Tenerife and the engine management system light had been flashing constantly since we got back from Malta.  I dropped it off bang on time and drove away in the courtesy car.   Then it was straight round to Sue’s for tea and toast and a catch up.  I had lots of shopping to do in MK buying mostly equipment for the caravan.  I covered a few miles scouring various shops, BM in Bletchley, IKEA, ASDA and I bought most of the goods on my list.   I spent a fortune mind you; some of the stuff for the new caravan came from our caravan but nonetheless there were loads of stuff to buy.

Sue had an appointment at MK General on Wednesday afternoon for a CT scan and I promised to go with her. She said she’d go alone because there would be lots of waiting around.  But when she checked her paperwork she realised she’d got the wrong Wednesday.  It wasn’t a problem for me but I think Sue had geared herself her up and was disappointed that she would have to wait another week.  Phil showed up at Sue’s around 4pm, just as we thought he would.  Just in time to watch Deal or No Deal and open a can before going out with the boys.  I picked up Jan and brought her round to Sue’s house.  Sue cooked supper and we had a great evening with lots of girlie chat and an abundance of vino plus some a huge box of Hotel Chocolate that Jan brought with her.  We finished the evening with bopping in the kitchen. Oh dear, but hey, no regrets, sometimes girls even old ones need to let their hair down for once.



As usual we were all feeling a little wooly headed on Thursday but there was no time to feel sorry for ourselves; Sue had to do a big Tesco shop, Phil had a house viewing and I had to go pick up my car and get myself back to Overstone.  We had invited Phil’s parents down for Easter and I had lots of  work to do in the caravan in readiness for their arrival on Friday.  It took me most of the day to prepare and I didn’t actually finish until almost 7pm.  

On Friday morning Phil got up early and drove to Melton Mowbray to pick up mum and dad. They landed back here at 10.30am which took me a little by surprise. I had wanted to go to the Virgin Active for a workout but I decided I didn’t have enough time.  I got the beef in red wine in the slow cooker at half seven in the morning but I was still doing jobs when Phil and the old folks arrived.  They liked the caravan next door and were slightly surprised by how good a nick it was in and also how well equipped it was. Big pat on the back for me!  Unfortunately on Friday morning we’d had a severe frost so it was a little chilly next door even though I’d been in and put the gas fire on full.


Everyone enjoyed my beef casserole and apple pie to follow and there was lots left over.   Phil had tea with mum and dad and then we had a quiet night in our van watching The X Factor.  When I saw the curtains drawn about 8’ish on Saturday morning I went straight round next door to check everything was okay. Mum and dad were sat at the table eating un-toasted hot cross buns; unfortunately the electric had tripped.  This caravan hasn’t been used for a while so the electric tripping wasn’t unusual.  It wasn’t down to a power surge as they didn’t have many appliances on.  I had a go with the screwdriver but in the end had to get Phil round to pull up the switches.

Breakfast finished and dishes washed and wiped, we then piled into dad’s car and headed to IKEA.  Phil’s mum wants new wardrobes for her freshly painted bedroom.  She found some she liked but when we got down to aisle 23 we found that they were out of stock.   It all felt like a wasted journey but I haven’t given up hope yet.  Lunch yesterday was chicken and new potatoes with left over apple pie and custard.   I went to Virgin Active to try out the gym.   I did a good hour and was pleased I went.  I had a brief spell in the spa which was lovely.  The old folks were weary from the walk around IKEA so their afternoon was an easy one, spent watching telly in front of the fire.  Same same for the evening but we had a difference of opinion with our television viewing so we spent the evening in our own separate caravans.



Easter Sunday was leisurely, breakfast, papers and a 5k run for me at Virgin Active.  Then Georgina turned up in her car with a friend and Harriet arrived about 10 minutes afterwards.  We went to the clubhouse for lunch and everyone opted for the roast dinner. The roast lamb was unusually tough and a little disappointing but it was nice for everyone to be able to sit together around the table.  The kids came back for tea and cake and then went their separate ways around half three. 


The Easter weekend weather has been horrible, typical bank holiday weather, grey skies and wet and windy.  I know I always bang on about the weather but you really do feel the elements when living in a caravan.   Nobody really wanted to venture out this morning but we needed supplies so coats on and we drove to Morrison’s in Wellingborough.   Shopping done, we then popped into Wickes to pick up an oil filled radiator for dad’s bedroom and then it was back to the van for coffee.  Phil wanted to show mum and dad The Manor so we went there for lunch.   Mum and dad loved the fish and chips and it’s the most food I have seen Phil’s dad eat for ages.  I had thought about going to the gym this afternoon but the weather plus the red wine and the steak and chips at lunchtime has put me off so I have decided against.  As I write, mum and dad are side by side, asleep on the reclining leather sofa and Phil is watching the TV.  Did we have a good Easter?  Yeah I suppose so, fairly quiet but the most important thing is that we gave mum and dad a mini break.  Sometimes it is good to give something back and realise that things don’t always revolve round you.



No comments:

Post a Comment