20 Apr 2012

All things medical






Well this week has been rather a wash out with us seeing rain that has virtually been non stop.  Maybe that’s a bit of an over exaggeration but we’ve certainly had some typical April showers.  And it’s been cold.  The type of weather that makes it difficult to get out of bed and when you do, you want to sit in front of the fire and eat comfort food.  That said, that’s not what I’ve done this week and I have ventured outside.  On Tuesday, I went to the gym and finally made a start on the end of year accounts.  In the afternoon I popped to Tesco’s in the Weston Favell centre for some supplies and that was about it.  
On Wednesday I left home fairly early and stopped off at Virgin on Riverside Park en route to MK.  We’re almost always at MK on Wednesdays but I went early in my car because I had a morning appointment at the medical centre for a middle aged, menopausal, well woman check.  A bit tedious but these things need to be done.  Lunch was a roll with Sue at her house and in the afternoon I worked on my little laptop.  I downloaded and ran an MSN Virus removal programme which took a couple of hours.  I thought this would solve the problem but blow me, when I went to sign in, I found my account had been blocked.  There was no time to resolve it because I was taking to Sue to MK General for an appointment with the heart consultant.

I haven’t really said too much on the blog about Sue’s medical problems, partly out of respect for Sue and also because up till now, we weren’t certain what exactly was causing the pain and the swelling in Sue’s legs and abdomen.  After many blood tests, a heart scan, a lung scan, the results of the CT scan last week revealed a 4 inch tumour on her ovary.  A phone call last Friday asking her to go in for an urgent CA125 blood test obviously was an extra cause for worry.  From what I understand a CA125 is a tumour grading test. Thank god, Sue phoned on Wednesday, just before we went to the hospital and her CA125 came out at 27.  This is good because anything under 35 is normal, normal as in most probably not cancerous.  Unfortunately, she is not out of the woods yet, not by a long shot because when we saw the heart doctor he said that the lung scan showed a blockage.  Previous tests had already shown she had a heart murmur which she was already aware of, but the lung blockage needs further investigation as it could be causing the swelling in her legs.  Sue is back at the hospital next week to see a gynaecologist and we are both hoping that she may find out just what is going on inside her body. I think it’s all the waiting for various tests and appointments that is so frustrating.  Sue, I have to say, is being quite strong, but the pain does keep her awake at night and I do wonder what thoughts roll through her mind in the wee early hours. 

Phil was also at the doctors on Wednesday afternoon; he has been suffering with a nasty rash together with swelling in both his armpits that won’t go away. The doctor that he saw said that he thought that he probably had a virus and gave him a weeks’ course of strong antibiotics.  So let’s hope they do the trick.  If the swelling and rash don’t go then the doctor wants him back in the surgery for blood tests.

It was gone 5pm by the time we got back to Sue’s house and we were surprised to see Anne and Jim chatting to Phil.  Only that morning they’d arrived back in the UK after spending 6 months in La Manga.  Despite a rough ferry crossing and very little sleep, they looked very well and we told them so.  They also brought both Sue & Phil & I both a 5 litre box of red wine which was kind and very welcome!  Thanks Anne & Jim!  We had drinks and then Anne & Jim dropped Phil off at the Ship Ashore.  Sue & I ate the chicken lemongrass noodles which I’d brought round and we had a fairly early night, well early for us anyway.

Phil woke up on Thursday morning feeling very sick.  He very stupidly skipped his lunch and didn’t eat anything except for a pack of pork scratchings which didn’t go down very well with the beer.   He said that he didn’t sleep very well and I was surprised to see him get dressed and head back to Overstone especially as it was only half seven in the morning.   I think if he was going to be poorly he wanted to do it back at the caravan.  He didn’t even have a cup of tea, just packed his laptop bag and then it was home James.  I wasn’t in a rush to leave Sue’s as I was meeting lunch.  Sue and I had several cups of tea and then got ready and went to do our different jobs.  Sue had to food shop and I dropped off Phil’s library book and then went to the gym.   I have been to the gym every day this week; I’ve not had mega workouts but enough to keep to counteract my wine consumption!

I met Harriet at the Ship Ashore for lunch and I was surprised by how busy it was.  She struggled to park and so did I even though I’d arrived quite early.   Harriet is fine, she brought our post, I brought her lunch and we had quite a good catch up.  I was back at Overstone just after half two only to find Phil in bed.  He actually hadn’t been sick but he did get some sleep.  He got up for a few hours then it was back to bed at 6pm. 

I am very late with this posting today as I have spent most of the morning trying to sort out my Hotmail account.  After much perseverance I have got it unblocked.  I intend to use Gmail for my main email but I want to keep the Hotmail open just so I can pick up any contacts or emails that I may have missed in the change-over.  After started writing about the persistent rain, the sun is shining and it looks glorious outside.  Let’s hope it stays that way for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment