4 Apr 2012

Back in Blighty


We had a good time in Malta but I don’t think any of any us will be rushing back.  Sue had visited 18 years ago and said her opinion of Malta hadn’t changed and she thought it was still under construction. I have to agree with her.  Most of the island is littered with ‘under construction signs and ‘diversions’ and the roads are pretty awful.  We stayed in the south of the island but Phil & I preferred the north.  On Sunday we headed north and took the car ferry over to Gozo.  That was fairly chilled, although we only had a couple of hours to explore and I wouldn’t want to stay there for more than a day unless you have a great love of churches, other than that, there isn’t much to see.  We went and we saw and enjoyed ourselves.  We ate and we drank and had a laugh.  I think Sue enjoyed her birthday in Malta, at least I hope she did.  I think she just was just grateful for the break away from everything.

Our flight time back was pretty sensible so we had plenty of time on Monday morning to eat a leisurely breakfast before driving back to the airport.  I like to have plenty of time, both for going out and coming back but Phil doesn’t like the hanging around.  All was good when we got to the airport until, after checking in our 1 bag, we saw that the incoming Ryanair flight was delayed.  Only by about 20 minutes but nonetheless, still a delay.  When we eventually got on the plane after queuing for nearly an hour the pilot announced that there would be a further delay of 1 hr 45 mins because of the French air control strike.  Great!  Sue was sat next to a 6ft fidget who kept bashing her leg and we were sat behind the gobbiest gang of teenage girls that just wouldn’t shut up.  The hour flight was long and boring but eventually we arrived at Luton and got back to Sue’s house for half four.  Just time to have a nice cup of tea, load up both cars and head back to Overstone before the rush hour.

I unpacked on Monday evening and did the washing but that was about it.  I was up early yesterday morning because I had lots to do.  Phil didn’t and spent half the morning in his dressing gown, catching up with his programmes.   I popped the washing in the dryer at the launderette and then went to Riverside Park to sign a 3 month contract with Virgin Active. There were so many forms to fill in that in the end I only had time for a quick shower.   I went back to the park, picking up my drying before going back to the van.  Phil was still slumped in front of the telly and I noticed that the park workers were busy next door working on the garden ready for our handover. I was pleased to see this because it meant I didn’t have to do it.  At lunch time we popped to Rushden to get petrol and supplies from Waitrose and then stopped off at a pub for lunch.  It was alright but I was anxious to get back to Overstone to get the keys for the new caravan.  We stopped at the office when we got back on site and gave our cheque to Julie who then handed us the keys.
Of course, when we parked the car up, I was straight in next door.  Unfortunately the gas guys were there servicing the boiler.   I got my bucket of hot water and got stuck into bleaching the kitchen cupboards, but to be honest, it had already been cleaned (not to my standards) but it did mean that I didn’t have to tough scrub.  I put away all the plates and cups and all the stuff that I had brought and Phil & I moved some garden furniture round. 
We also sorted out the sheds, now that we have 2 sheds, Phil now has one for his tools and I have one for my washing machine.  I get the one which is insulated and carpeted and once we have ripped out the kitchen worktop and brought a new fridge, I will have the little fridge in my shed.  God I must be a real saddo if I am getting excited about having my shed on a caravan park. I should be worried!  The gas guys took ages as there was a problem with the gas supply; they couldn’t get the boiler or the fire and the cooker to light and then the rain came down.  They got it all going in the end but by this time, it was almost 5 o’clock.  It was almost 7 by the time I finished ironing and making up the new beds.   There is still quite a lot to buy and quite a few things to do.  Phil’s mum and dad are coming on Friday to stay for a while so the pressure is on.  As usual, I moan and groan about how much there is to do but I get there in the

1 comment: