Phil is obviously pleased that his contract has come to an end and I am pleased because he is pleased. The benefits are that he can do stuff for his mum and dad plus work in the flat as well as getting a few jobs done here at no 2. It also gives him time to have some R&R time and the chance to write some more of his book. The downside of Phil being home is that he has rather upset my routine. Sue and I have our own morning agenda. Generally, we have a cup of tea and a chat first thing, I check emails and then I write my ‘to do’ list. After that, we wash and wipe up and Sue normally does the housework while I disappear to the gym. But that’s all now changed. It’s fine Phil being at home but Phil doesn’t do project planning, he’s ready to go when he’s ready without thinking what objectives he has for the day and what tools he needs to get the jobs done. The downside of this is that we make several trips either to either no 2 or to Homebase or Wickes or B&Q instead of the one. And Friday was no different. Phil left first because I wasn’t quite ready and had to make ham sandwiches to take to the flat.
Anyway I got to the flat and found Phil stripping the paint off a newly painted wall in the hallway. I did notice that there was a bit of peeling paint but it was no big deal. But Phil decided to get out his chisel and by midday he’d chiseled half the paint from the wall making a right mess. He then decided he needed to get some more tools from number 2 so off he went to Newport leaving me to clean up his mess. While he was gone, I got stuck into spraying mould remover onto the bedroom ceilings which wasn’t a nice job. The more water and bleach and the more scrubbing meant balls of foam flying everywhere. Stupid me, I didn’t think to wear a mask or ventilate which would have made life a little more pleasant. When Phil eventually got back, he came minus the tumble dryer. He said that the tumble dryer was drying (that was Sue’s) and he couldn’t find the power switch to open the garage door. Well he wouldn’t would he because the power switch was turned off and this is something that we had told him before. Anyway, we worked a couple of more hours and got back home around 4 o’clock.
If I am being honest, I was feeling a little depressed when we got back. I had felt that Sue & I had turned a corner in the flat but with Phil peeling off paint in the hallway taking the wall back to bare plaster and what with scrubbing the mould, it was all a bit too much. Phil suggested walking to The Kingfisher for a pint and it seemed a good idea. I sent Sue a text to say where we were going and she turned up for a drink about an hour later. I was impressed with The Kingfisher as a local, it was clean, the drinks were cheap and the food menu looked okay for pub grub. We will definitely have to eat there before we go back to Overstone. Unfortunately a couple of drinks turned into a few and we were more than ready for Sue’s lamb chops, mash with carrots and broccoli. Friday is my best night of the week and we had a good evening.
Phil was champing at the bit to go to Homebase as they had a 15% reduction over the weekend. I helped him get the tumble dryer in the car and then he set off and I said I would meet him in HomeBase. I had breakfast, finished my tea and then I was ready to set off when I had a funny turn. I just about made it to the bathroom in time to throw up. It could have been the red wine from the night before but I doubt it, as I have the constitution of an ox and it certainly wasn’t the lamb chops because both Sue and Phil were fine. I think it was probably inhaled mould spores as a direct result of no mask and no adequate ventilation. My own silly fault, and no one to blame but me. I met Phil at HomeBase and Phil already had a trolley load, however I needed a few things, some damp proof paint, some condensation paint and some emulsion for the bathroom. We paid for our stuff and treated ourselves to a hot dog from the food van outside. I wasn’t sure I had the stomach for it but I managed more than half.
When we got back to the OB flat, Phil did some more paint peeling and I did some more mould cleaning. By midday though, Phil had had enough and decided to work a half day and go home. I didn’t really mind, I carried on cleaning and finished by painting the bedroom ceilings with the condensation paint. I guess I finished about 2ish and then went to DW for a quick workout. I can’t say that I was really in the mood but I felt better for going. Phil was already in his pyjamas when I got back to no 2 but he did get dressed to go out and get us a Chinese takeaway from Great Linford. He ordered a real single bloke meal, beef curry, fried rice, spring rolls and a portion of chips. It was okay. I dropped Sue off at friends where she was having dinner cooked for her; Phil went to bed at half seven and I stayed up to watch a film and that was our Saturday night.
On Sunday morning I went to the flat to paint a coat of the mould paint in the bedrooms. The mould paint was expensive and difficult to brush as it was so thick. But it had to be done, this mould problem has to be overcome and I hate to let anything get the better of me. After painting, I went to the gym for a 5k run and then it was back to Newport to get ready to go out for lunch. We had a table at the Mysore booked for 1pm and Jan & Steve picked us up from home and drove us there. After such a great meal the other Saturday night, the Sunday buffet at The Mysore was disappointing. The restaurant was fairly empty and the service was severely lacking. We had to ask for plates and even at 1pm some of the dishes were empty. The food was okay; not outstanding, I enjoyed what I ate but it wasn’t a patch on the normal menu. I felt a bit bad for Jan & Steve and I don’t think we will be rushing back for Sunday lunch. Jan & Steve came back to Sue’s for a drink which was nice and after they left at 4pm, it was Sunday papers and a general chill out.
I meant to get up early and blog yesterday morning but this was no time because Phil was itching to get to the flat and wanted me to follow. We decided to go in 2 cars because I had every intention of going to the gym but it just didn’t happen. Phil & I worked pretty much all day only stopping at half one to go the Hungry Horse at Kents Hill for lunch. I was very much ready for something to eat but the trouble is with eating a meal at lunchtime, as opposed to a sarnie, is that one doesn’t really feel like doing much in the afternoon. But work we did, I managed to get the two bedrooms painted and Phil got the electrics sorted in the kitchen. It was a productive day but we were knackered when we finished. Phil left at 4pm but I had to go to Sainsbury’s so it was nearer to 5pm by the time I walked through the door. Phil was early to bed (as usual), Sue was out for a meal at the Rotary Club at The Jaipur and I watched my soaps before turning in.
Today Phil is going to Melton to help his mum and dad in their bungalow. I would have gone with him but I have an appointment with Rachel who is doing my hair. I would have cancelled her but I cancelled last week and its months since I had my colour done. Hopefully if I work hard this week, my load should be lighter and I can get down to Melton to see them. I like to be busy but I can’t cope with more than one project at once. Maybe it’s an age thing? I dunno, but even though I am having time out to have my hair done today, I still have a million things on my list to get done. Sometimes, it feels like there just isn’t enough hours in the day however organised one is. Don’t get me wrong, we’ve had a good weekend but with Phil being home, all the days just seem to roll into one.
No comments:
Post a Comment