Phil left for Melton Mowbray around 8am on Tuesday morning and Sue & I went to the OB flat to paint not long after he’d left. It was hardly the most romantic way to spend Valentine’s Day and it was certainly different. We’d already been in and cleaned and prepped so we were all ready to paint. We pretty much worked all day only stopping for a short while to eat our sandwiches with a cup of tea. I got the lounge walls and the skirting boards painted and Sue glossed the doors and frames in the kitchen. Luckily for me, Sue doesn’t mind glossing and she makes a much better job of it than me as she takes her time. Me, on the other hand get impatient and slop it on getting gloss on me and everything nearby so I spend half my time using the decorating wipes to clean up. We had a very productive day and it was work well done. After we cleaned up, we popped into the city centre to pick up a take-away from Wagamama’s. I did offer to take Sue out for dinner but she declined, and it was probably for the best as we both didn’t fancy watching loved up couples on Valentines Night.
We were slightly knackered when we finally got back to number 2, we ate our pork ribs and then we both went up for a shower. A bit later on, we stuck our take-away in the microwave and opened the red wine. Sue had chosen the salmon teriyaki and I went for the ginger chicken with soba noodles. We both shared each of the dishes and it was delicious. I was glad that we’d stayed home and actually we had a very nice evening. Too much red wine of course but I did feel, after our hard days’ work, for once we were entitled.
On Wednesday I stopped off at the tip to dump some rubbish and then went into Newport to pick up Phil’s prescription. I had every intention of going to the gym but in the end I end up changing our bed and catching up with some washing and ironing. In the afternoon I went round to see Vanessa for a cup of tea. I hadn’t seen her for ages and I knew, as it was half term week, she would be at home. She had been busy decorating Alex’s bedroom and moving furniture. Chris was working from home so I had a chat with him. Vanessa gave me 2 bottles of wine for helping clean their buy to flat which was sweet. I felt a little guilty, because only that day, I’d received a cheque for £100 from Prestige because Chris & Vanessa had put their flat with Prestige after we referred them.
Phil got back from Melton around 4pm, he was absolutely exhausted. He said that he achieved quite a lot in the two days he’d spent with mum and dad. The garage is slowing getting cleared and he’d managed to lay 5 more packs of boards in the loft. I was concerned because he said mum was still throwing up which is worrying because she’s been throwing up for over 2 weeks now. Initially I put it down to the stress of the house move but now I’m not so sure. On Wednesday evening I picked up Jan and Steve and dropped Phil and Steve at the pub and brought Jan back to number 2. Sue, who is taking antibiotics for a chest infection, very kindly offered to drive and we went to Robinsons wine bar for pie and mash. I was a little worried that it would be quiet like it was last Friday night but actually there were quite a few people eating and we were lucky to get a table. They do a pie and mash night on a Wednesday and you get soup and pie and mash for £4.50 which I think is good value for money. The soup was pea and ham with Parmesan crouton's and the pie of the day was lamb and leek. I have to say that it was very good, we had a lovely evening and would definitely go back there again.
Phil said he had a good night with the boys. He was very hyper when he went out and I knew that he was going to sink a few beers. And so he did, it was a very hung-over Phil on Thursday morning. Still, at least he didn’t have to go to work and he had a few things that he needed to do. After breakfast he took himself off to the OU library and then he went to get his hair cut in Wolverton. I decided to go to the flat to sort out the rubbish. The ex-tenants had filled the green bin full of household rubbish and also the black dustbin. I wasn’t looking forward to hooking out all the rubbish and putting it into black rubbish sacks but it had to be done. I did put on the marigolds and emptying the bins wasn’t as bad as I had expected. Whilst I was there, I decided to pick up some of the rubbish in the garden so that was a job well done. The garden in the OB flat is not high on my priorities but the sun was shining and it was nice to be outside for a change.
After the flat I went back home and then it was into Newport to a look at a 2 bed ground floor flat in the high street. It was a repossession and so once inside, it was cold, damp and a little unloved. Phil really liked the flat but I wasn’t so sure. It needs a new kitchen, a new bathroom and a total redecoration but what bothered me most, was the lack of a garden and the sash windows. We have no experience with sash windows and the ones in this particular flat were in a very poor condition. The agent was pushing us to make an offer there and then but we never, ever offer on the spot. Well actually I have down this once before but generally Phil & I like to take away the details and discuss the pros and cons.
Lunch was easy yesterday, left over Wagamama noodles for Phil and a bowl of green curry that I’d got out of the freezer. Sue just had an egg roll because she was eating out in the evening. Phil decided to have an afternoon at home, Sue went off to see her dad and I went back to the flat to put out my rubbish sacks for the bin men. I had intended to go to the gym but when I got to the flat I realised I’d left my handbag at home. I suppose that I could have got in without my membership card but I’d lost by enthusiasm by then and decided to stay at the flat and gloss the radiators. This is a boring job but you’d don’t have to be as careful with rads as you do with doors. I guess I got back home around 4pm. Phil went to bed at half six, Sue went out to curry night and I spent a couple of frustrating hours on the internet trying to export The Naked Bloggers 2011 from Google and get it in a hard book format with Blog2Print. It should have been easy but it wasn’t; I ended up using the online chat support with Stephanie in America; it was quite a desperate conversation on my side and I did say at one point, that I was going to slit my wrists but $155 and sometime later I eventually managed to order my book.
It’s been busy in our household this morning, hence my lateness in blogging. Phil started replacing the strobe light in the kitchen just as the Viking people arrived just after 9am to assemble another filing cabinet in the office because Sue wasn’t happy with the one that was delivered earlier in the week. And I don’t blame her; she paid quite a bit of money so why should she put up with furniture that she’s not happy with. Phil has taken Sue to go with him to second view the flat on the high street and I am left home alone with the Viking men. I just hope that Sue gets back before they finish because I will have to approve the new unit. When Phil gets back, he needs to finish the light and then we are off to do some work in the OB flat. Happy days………………..
No comments:
Post a Comment