We have been busy. I
know in my last post I said I was really looking forward to a new project but
boy it’s been hard work. On Wednesday we went to the GP flat together. The first job was to get rid of the 2 cream
sofas that the tenant had left. We
realised when we tried to get the first sofa out of the front door why the tenant
had left them. Try as we did, the sofa
wouldn’t go through the front door. At
one point we got wedged in the hallway and the sofa was jammed stuck. It took an almighty shove from Phil to get it
unstuck. In the end Phil got the saw and
we had to saw the sofa in half to be able to get it out of the front door and
down the steps. What a nightmare and it
took almost 2 hours to get both the sofas out of the flat. The next job for Phil was breaking down the
kitchen units. This wasn’t so easy
because Phil had forgotten to bring the electric screwdriver which would have
made the job a lot easier. Never mind,
he managed to get all the units dismantled and then it was my job to take the
mucky, greasy units to the tip. Actually
it took me 3 trips to dump everything including all the wall tiles from the
kitchen. It’s looking quite bare, all we
need now is a Corgi registered plumber to disconnect the gas hob and the sink
and then we are ready to start work.
Phil had to stop work mid afternoon as he had to go to the
doctors’ surgery to get his blood pressure checked. As usual, we stayed at Sue’s on Wednesday
afternoon. Phil went out with the boys and I cooked salmon for supper. Unfortunately Sue wasn’t feeling too good so
it was a quiet night and early to bed.
On Thursday Phil went to the GP flat and started scraping the wood chip
from the walls in the bedroom. Not an
easy job because the stuff was stuck firmly. I went to the gym as stripping
wallpaper is not one of favourite pastimes.
I stopped off with a Burger King for Phil and then went to pick up Sue as
she had another appointment at The Churchfield hospital in Oxford.
The drive was okay and we arrived in plenty of time for Sue’s
2pm appointment. Unfortunately we had a
40 minute wait until we were seen and then we found out that Sue wasn’t seeing
the consultant and the junior doctor that she did see didn’t have her notes
from MK. We know that Sue has to see all
the different specialists at Oxford which is frustrating in itself but when
they don’t have her notes or results of previous tests, its hard to remain
patient. Sue eventually did get to see
the consultant and after the MDT meeting tomorrow she is hoping to get a call
from the Churchill to say that they have a bed.
They will probably get her in for more tests but I think she is still a
long way from surgery.
It was a really hot humid day on Thursday and we got caught
up in the traffic as we left Oxford. I
suppose given that we didn’t leave the hospital until 4pm we did well to get
back to Newport Pagnell just before quarter to six. Oxford isn’t a million miles away but it does
take up half a day getting there and back and allowing time for the appointment
and extra time in case the traffic is heavy.
Poor Sue was done in and so I was I; I stayed for a glass of wine and
got back to Overstone at 7pm.
On Friday we drove to MK in the one car. I dropped Phil off at the flat and then
dropped into Sue’s for a quick cuppa.
Thankfully she was feeling much better which was just as well because
she was having a dinner party that evening and was busy preparing and
cooking. After tea I went round to the
flat to pick up wet soggy wallpaper.
Phil and I then went to Sue’s dad’s bungalow to do a couple of little
jobs there and afterwards we went to the café at the oriental shop in Stacey
Bushes. Phil enjoyed his chicken katso
curry but my chicken chow-mein wasn’t very nice. After lunch it was back to wall paper
stripping and then we went to DW for a Jacuzzi and a steam.
Sue had invited Jim & Anne along with me and Phil for
dinner at her place and very kindly said we could stay the night. I picked up Anne & Jim from their house
to save them a taxi ride and we sat down to dinner for about 7pm. And what a delicious dinner it was; pate to
start, followed by chicken chasseur with green veggies and roasted new
potatoes. For dessert, we had fresh
fruit salad and cheese and biscuits to finish.
It was nice to catch up with Anne & Jim and hear all of their
plans. All in all, great food and great
company and a nice time was had by all.
It was a foggy start to Saturday morning; I dropped Phil off
at the flat and then went to Anne & Jim’s house to pick up a special tool
to help strip the wallpaper. And then it
was back to the flat for more stripping and scraping. Phil stuck to the water and sponge but I
worked with the heat blower. I don’t
which was more effective but either way it was slow going. I don’t know who invented wall chip paper
but whoever they are, they deserve to suffer a long and painful death. I was glad when Harriet turned up at the
flat at midday as it gave us an excuse for a break. This was the first time that Harriet had seen
the GP flat and she thought it was in a terrible state. It is of course, and when you are ripping
everything out, it always looks bad.
We took Harriet to the Giffard Park for lunch as we hadn’t
been there for months. In fact I don’t
think we have eaten there since when we lived on Giffard Park. The pub was fairly empty and we all ordered
steak and chips. Normally the food isn’t
bad at the Giffard, it is what it is, pub grub but our steaks, when they came,
were as tough as old boots and we had to send them back. I very rarely do this but our waiter was
happy to take them away and get the chef to cook us new steaks. These were fine but to be honest because we’d
eaten a third of our first meal, none of us were that hungry. I will try the Giffard Park again but I don’t
think I will bother with the steaks again.
After lunch, Harriet went straight home and we carried on with the
wallpaper. Sue popped by to take a quick
look at the flat and we didn’t stay much longer after she left. To be honest, we were loosing the will to
live by this stage of the day plus we were knackered.
Phil talked about going to work in the flat yesterday but in
the end we decided to have a day off.
Phil did draw up the flat in AutoCAD and we plan with us to discuss over
lunch. Lunch was the Sunday roast at the
clubhouse. We studied the flat plan and
have more or less decided to do a major refurbishment on the flat. Phil has been desperate to knock down a wall
for a long time and I think with this flat, he may just get his way. We have decided to knock down the wall in-between
the lounge and the kitchen making it a totally open plan. I think the plan is to go to town on this
flat. New kitchen, new bathroom, slim
line radiators, white gloss kitchen, under-floor eating and an ultra modern
bathroom. Its not exactly going to be a
project with no expense spared, oh no, we intend to do most of the work
ourselves and know where to source bargains but it will be nice to go for a
sharper finish than we do with our normal rentals.
Phil woke up with a really bad back this morning. I don’t whether it’s because he slept in a
funny position or whether it’s because of the wall paper stripping. This didn’t stop getting his work kit on and
going over to the GP flat for some scraping but I decided to stay behind. I felt a little guilty but I wanted to give
the van a good clean and catch up with some domestics which have been rather
neglected. I also wanted to sort some
paperwork. I have managed to do what I
set out to achieve but it’s been a rather disjointed day. At lunchtime I forced
myself to get in the car and go to DW Northampton for a workout but when I came
off the A45 there was a big long queue of traffic which was due to roadwork’s. I sat in the queue for about 10 minutes and
then decided to turn around and give it up as a bad job. I have finished my ironing and have showered
and got changed in my pyjamas. Yes I
know it’s only the middle of the afternoon but it’s so horrible out there that
I don’t feel like going out anywhere else today. I do wonder when our summer will begin; ever
since we have put up our gazebo its done nothing but rain.
No comments:
Post a Comment